No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 1

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

CyberMage: Darklight Awakening

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
If RGB Classic Games matters to you, tell someone!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: CyberMage: Darklight Awakening

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, CyberMage ain't your average FPS, with lots of rather unusual gameplay twists and features that fit the general cyberpunk/magic hybrid theme that is the premise of the game. The player can use both weapons (ranging from an axe to small arms and grenades) and magic powers to attack the enemies, and it is also possible to drive vehicles during the game. There is also a noticeable diversity of enemies and neutral NPS populating the world, as well as the various locations, once again emphasizing the unusual mix of cyberpunk and fantasy themes. Overall, I'd say CyberMage is a very good game, although it's definitely unorthodox in the terms of established traditions of the FPS genre contemporary to its release.

BTW, here's a very nice review of CyberMage:
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/cyberpun ... awakening/

However, I should note that I've been unable to make it run at decent speed in high-res mode under DOSBox. The official DOSBox compatibility guide isn't very consistent on the matter, but perhaps I should try setting core to dynamic and play around with the CD/hard drive installation variants.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: CyberMage: Darklight Awakening

Post by MrFlibble »

It appears that the demo really runs faster in SVGA mode if the installation/resource directory is mounted as a CD-ROM drive in DOSBox. It also runs quite nicely in high-res if the screen is just a bit smaller than the full screen size (increased in size once from the default size).

BTW, I think that the demo scenario is not part of the full version, as it is stated to have been made specifically to showcase the features of the game.