No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 2

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Mystic Towers

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
strtj
4-bit nibble

Post by strtj »

The 3/4 overhead view on this was pretty cool, and the graphics were good, but I even though I finished the shareware version I never felt that I got comfortable with the controls. I always seemed to be walking in a different direction that I wanted to be.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Re: Mystic Towers

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

I think this game was pretty unstable on my system. Laggy controls and distorted music. Looked cool, though. I should give it a go in DOSBox sometime.
Chinese checkers. Mashed potatoes! And a tyrannosaurus rex!
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Works fine in DOSBox for me. It's a very different game and somewhat hard to classify. It has the puzzle-solving elements of an adventure game, but the action elements of a platformer, and even somewhat resembles a real-time RPG. It's not one of my favorite games, but definitely worth trying.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
rainwarrior
4-bit nibble

Post by rainwarrior »

I liked this one. Had very nice graphics, kinda cute theme, and the isometric perspective was neat. A little awkward to control at first, but I got used to it. Was kind of impressive that monsters seemed to go from room to room even when you weren't around, which felt a little more realistic maybe.
blinkingboythe
5-bit member

Post by blinkingboythe »

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote: December 2nd, 2008, 1:16 am I think this game was pretty unstable on my system. Laggy controls and distorted music. Looked cool, though. I should give it a go in DOSBox sometime.
The music always sounded distorted even on a 'real' Dos system. Likely using a very highly compressed sound file for the music and sfx (MIDI isn't used here).

Never had a problem with laggy controls, though I sometimes get confused with the isometric layout, mentally translating a keypad configured as "+" to work as one like "X". I have this difficulty with all isometric games, but it's only a minor annoyance.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

I never played the game much but I did rip the .mod music and put it up on the VGMPF and it doesn't sound particularly distorted to me (you can play it in the browser through that page). Is it the playback routines that aren't great or is this how it sounds in the game?
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

The shareware version's music sounds a bit "rough" through SB emulation in DOSBox even at the high quality setting. I heard that there's GUS patch but I was unable to find it. I have a copy at Steam but I never played it.