Quake files

Post suggestions, correct errors or omissions, or anything else about the site
leilei
File Contributor

Quake files

Post by leilei »

Blood 0.99a and 0.99b shareware can be found here.

Quake shareware 0.91 (and 0.92 patch) can be found here. Quake shareware 1.00 is also available here.

Time Slaughter from Bloodlust Software could possibly be added into the Fighting Section, as it's a 1996 shareware game that turned freeware by the authors

I really like this site down to the classic 90's web design look and feel as well as the intent to not take any legal risks and putting only legal files up.
Last edited by leilei on August 26th, 2009, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Welcome to Classic DOS Games, and nice find!

My research indicates that there was no v0.99a; it was really v0.99. The version history of Blood is a bit murky, because every version Monolith studios released was called "blood.exe", and the internal version number and readme file don't always agree. Here's what I've found so far:

Code: Select all

version   readme                in-game

0.99      v1.00  Mar 3, 1997    v0.99  Mar 5, 1997
0.99b     v0.99b Mar 7, 1997    v0.99b Mar 11, 1997
0.99c
1.0       v1.00  Apr 24, 1997   v1.00  Apr 24, 1997
1.01      v1.01  Jun 10, 1997   v1.01  Jun 13, 1997
1.02      v1.02  Jun 17, 1997   v1.02  Jul 1, 1997
1.11      v1.11  Sep 10, 1997   v1.11  Sep 23, 1997
For the purposes of this site, I'm using the in-game information. v0.99b and v1.02 are new to the site. v0.99b includes an installer for the Total Entertainment Network, so I hope to find a version that contains only the game, if there was one.

As for Quake, Quake is another murky one. There was a v0.91, a patch from 0.91 to 0.92, a v1.00, v1.01 (and a patch from 1.0 to 1.01), a v1.06 (and a patch from 1.01 to 1.06), a patch from 1.01 to 1.07, and a patch from 1.01 to 1.08. That means that only v0.91, v1.00, v1.01 and v1.06 were ever released as non-patch files.

The non-patch versions were large, so they were divided into seven 1.44 MB files called qsw091_1.zip through qsw091_7.zip (and qsw100_1.zip, etc). The quake091.zip and quake100.zip files you've found are "repacked" zip files containing the data files from the seven split zip files. Apparently so is the v1.01 that I already had on the site. v1.06 isn't repacked because I downloaded it from id's website. Now, I don't know for sure if v0.91 and 1.00 ever came in single zip file versions, but http://3rd.quakeworld.nl/filesmissing.php seems to think that there was a "not repacked" version of quake091.zip, which implies that the quake101.zip on http://3rd.quakeworld.nl/files.php was not repacked. Unfortunately he was hot linking to a website that no longer exists, so this fantastic resource has been lost. That's why I decided to host all of my files locally from the very first day of this website. Imagine if I spent years finding and linking to the hundreds of files on Classic DOS Games and my source disappeared, and all that research and labor was lost forever?

So, I'll upload the repacked files on the site, but I'd still like to find copies that include an installer with a single data file, instead of seven collected data files, for every version other than v1.06.

Anyway, thank you for your help. My obsession with these kinds of details to ensure the quality and completeness of Classic DOS Games is the major reason why there are so few updates to the site, and why I sometimes lose my motivation. It's hard to find perfect, original copies of games from so long ago, many from before the age of BBS and CD-ROM distribution. The quest for completion can be time consuming and disheartening. Some versions of games just aren't on the internet any more, and may never be archived. I don't deal well with defeat, and a few dozen failures sometimes overshadow 188 (and counting) victories.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
leilei
File Contributor

Quake files

Post by leilei »

Actually these zips I have aren't 'repacked' at all. It was always available split and unified. I dug these from an old backup.

1.07 and 1.08 were only quake.exe versions that ship with the two official missionpacks.

You might also be interested in the public deathmatch test release from February 1996.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

They were available split and unified, but are these files unified? They contain the seven data files from the split versions. v1.06 contains a single data file, and it stands to reason that all of the unified versions did, too. This dyna fellow seems to be pretty knowledgeable about Quake (way more than I am), and he was searching for a non-repacked version of v0.91. How sure are you that the unified versions contained seven data files instead of one?
leilei
File Contributor

Quake files2

Post by leilei »

DOSGuy wrote:How sure are you that the unified versions contained seven data files instead of one?
Since the zip i've uploaded had a 6/22/1996 12:00AM timestamp, i'm pretty sure it's the real one.

I'm thinking that guy encountered a zip of it that had several .nfos injected in it or so. I never saw such repacked zip file however,

Here's a Quake 1.01 shareware release from the Atari FTP, which also has pieces in it. Note that Atari today is formerly GT Interactive (which distributed Quake) and Infogrames, so this is an official package, no doubt.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Here's the problem that I have. Both v0.91 and v1.00 contain a file_id.diz (timestamped on the same day as the rest of the files), that says:

"If you don't know what QUAKE is, ask someone who owns a computer."

But, wait. If v0.91 is the first version, why should Quake already be famous? According to Wikipedia, the shareware version was released on June 22, 1996, and the full version was released on July 22. The file_id.diz in v0.91, dated June 21, implies that anyone who owns a computer should be familiar with this game, one day before the official release! This suggests to me that the author of the file_id.diz wrote the description after the game was a commercial success, and set the timestamp to match the files in the archive.

On the other hand, the exact same copy of quake091.zip (but with info about Cream of the Crop added to the Comment field) appears on a shovelware CD-ROM called Cream of the Crop #20, which was released in August 1996. Apparently there was a copy of quake091.zip that had seven data files in it, and a file_id.diz file that doesn't seem to make any sense, as early as August 1996. June to August allows enough time for the game to have become a sensation, so I'm still not convinced that someone didn't write the file_id.diz and repackage the files from the split version in August 1996, and set the timestamp to June 1996 for some reason. Maybe this is a stretch, but where we're at right now is that August 1996 is the earliest that I can prove that a file called quake091.zip with seven data files existed. I can't prove that such a file existed on June 22, 1996.

You're right that the evidence supports this being an original file, but applying this kind of scrutiny to every file on the site is what I do. Why seven data files and not one? It's a mystery...
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

leilei wrote:Here's a Quake 1.01 shareware release from the Atari FTP, which also has pieces in it. Note that Atari today is formerly GT Interactive (which distributed Quake) and Infogrames, so this is an official package, no doubt.
Ah, you edited your post after I started my response! Now we're getting somewhere. A file from Atari that has seven data files is probably authentic. Perhaps the unified files were always collections of the data files from the split versions. At least, up until v1.06. The "ask someone who owns a computer" stuff must have been referring to the hype that was generated by screenshots and pre-release material.

Wow, those developer/publisher FTP sites are such a valuable resource. I've found files from companies like Apogee and MVP on their FTPs that aren't linked to from their website any more (and there was the infamous Copysoft incident). This is a valuable lesson to all of our visitors.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

file_id.diz looks like the writing of John Romero, as he was responsible for upping the first shareware releases onto sites. You could probably clarify it with himself if you're curious.

Also note the hypey exclamation in Quake's title in the installer, as well as the installation complete "Prepare to Quake!!!" line. I think he's just excited that it's completed and out the door :P
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I've spoken to John Romero before, and I've just sent him an email about it. It's great that there are people like him who are still willing to answer questions from geeks like me.

That's some great critical thinking, and some excellent research. DOS preservation needs more people like you. Thanks for posting on the site!
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

You could also probably put up the .MAP sources that were officially GPLed in Oct 2006 too

http://rome.ro/2006_10_01_archive.html

I don't think you need to list or mirror any ports however since that just skews public opinion around.

Another game to add is Nethack, although it's primarily a unix game, its older DOS ports are hard to find (I can't find the certain 1992 version i'm most fond of :( )
dyna
Less than a nibble

Post by dyna »

Nice to see discussions about this are still going. And here i was thinking that noone would ever be interested in my nerdish list :P
Now, I don't know for sure if v0.91 and 1.00 ever came in single zip file versions, but http://3rd.quakeworld.nl/filesmissing.php seems to think that there was a "not repacked" version of quake091.zip, which implies that the quake101.zip on http://3rd.quakeworld.nl/files.php was not repacked.
As far as i remember quake101.zip was the official file. The quake091.zip was repacked by myself but i can't exactly remember the reason, probably because some bbs/ftp added .diz/.nfo file(s). I do have the original file now though.
Unfortunately he was hot linking to a website that no longer exists, so this fantastic resource has been lost. That's why I decided to host all of my files locally from the very first day of this website. Imagine if I spent years finding and linking to the hundreds of files on Classic DOS Games and my source disappeared, and all that research and labor was lost forever?
Didn't have any bandwidth to spare back then so i dumped it all on some ISP account. Seems to be gone now but i still have all files so my labor is not lost forever.
Here's the problem that I have. Both v0.91 and v1.00 contain a file_id.diz (timestamped on the same day as the rest of the files), that says:

"If you don't know what QUAKE is, ask someone who owns a computer."

But, wait. If v0.91 is the first version, why should Quake already be famous?
Quake is one of the most anticipated games of all times. Almost everyone i knew back then knew about quake and was awaiting it's release.
For me it's the most anticipated game ever, i even drove through half the country to get the pre-release.

Seeing all those discussions referencing my list makes me want to redo/complete it. Too bad i have so little time.

Also great work on this website, keep up the good work, i always thought the net lacked a good dos games resource/renaming project.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Hi dyna!

Thanks for clarifying the "repacked" issue. If you can send me your original quake091.zip, I'll gladly add it to the site. :)

I try really hard to be an expert at everything, but it's just not possible. This site needs all the experts it can get. I welcome any contributions and corrections that you (and anyone else) have to offer.
dyna wrote:Also great work on this website, keep up the good work, i always thought the net lacked a good dos games resource/renaming project.
It's always been my goal to create the definitive resource for DOS games. I'm very proud of the site, but it sure has a long way to go. I've probably done as much work on the site in the last two and a half months as in the first two and a half years!

Archiving/renaming zip files is my top priority for this site, but there's always room for some doubt (and legitimate variation) when it comes to files that were distributed by BBS. Sometimes an author posted the same version of his program on different BBSes over a period of months or years, changing only the readme. With 5 legitimate copies of GreatGame v1.1, how can I choose the definitive one? Because of that, it's impossible for me to create a true renaming project, such as generating a list of MD5s for, like, GoodDOS, or a DAT file for clrmamepro.

I have a CatWeasel Mk 4 coming in, which I'll use to create raw images of installation disks! There's no variation there! Companies ordered thousands of floppies or CDs at a time, so they couldn't modify them until the next batch. That's a whole other project, the DOS Historical Preservation Society, which will finally get off the ground when my CatWeasel arrives.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

dyna wrote:I do have the original file now though.
as do I, and I believe this is contributed to the site ;)

Maybe Quake Deathmatch Test could be put up too?
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Quake files

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm working on adding screenshots right now. I put a ridiculous number of hours into redesigning the database and writing scripts to grab data from it so that I could do things like allow games to be searched by year and status, and list ratings from the forum, the big rewrite of the Moraff games, and now the screenshot thing. I try to find time to still add a game now and then, but right now I'm still overwhelmed by all of the upgrades that need to happen. Making decisions about policy (should I have patches, should I post uncirculated alphas and betas, should I post add-on packs) is off my radar right now. I don't know what Quake Deathmatch Test is, and I don't want to get distracted by finding out. I won't forget the suggestion, though.

I haven't publicly stated what my goals are, or how many phases there are going to be, because it could change. But, for any keeners who actually read the forum, I'm on Phase IV of hopefully V. Once that stuff is done, I'll have plenty of time to add games and extras and anything else that people want.
dyna
Less than a nibble

Post by dyna »

Reading through the site i noticed you don't only list games but also contact developers to get them to release stuff, very good work!

Had to dig a bit for the quake091.zip but found it, don't know if it's already on the site or not but here is it anyway. This file also has the original timestamp.

Quake Deathmatch Test is a test version / technology demo released to the public with 3 deathmatch levels, one of them being DM1.
Although it has no single player, people did succeed in hacking it to show a few monsters that where included in the code.
Test versions where also released for Quake2 and Quake3.

EDIT: oopz, forgot the link: http://quakeworld.nl/quake091.zip
Last edited by dyna on November 15th, 2007, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.