Quake files

Post suggestions, correct errors or omissions, or anything else about the site
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Quake files

Post by MrFlibble »

DOSGuy wrote:v0.99b includes an installer for the Total Entertainment Network, so I hope to find a version that contains only the game, if there was one.
This is in fact the Retail Shareware version of the game, which was sold on CDs. The the files in this version are actually identical to the Retail Shareware (file list at cd.textfiles.com), except there are no cutscenes and no Windows installer.

The problem is that the Internet Shareware readme from other known versions explicitly forbid the distribution of Retail Shareware, as opposed to the Internet Shareware. You will probably want to remove that version from the site.

As for the existence of stand-alone downloads of Internet Shareware v0.99b and v0.99c (in addition to the respective patches), the change log at 3D Action Gamers' Archive seems to suggest that these versions indeed existed:
970326 : added Blood v0.99c shareware and upgrade patch (superseded v0.99b)
<...>
970314 : added Blood v0.99b shareware and upgrade patch (superseded v0.99) [source]
A download of v0.99c is also mentioned here. However, neither file seems to be available online currently.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Bummer. I've removed the file.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Thanks!

I think this weird v0.99b could have been a result of some sort of confusion within Monolith. The files were not copied straight off the Retail Shareware CD, they were packaged into a ZIP SFX pretty much the same way as regular Internet Shareware. The problem is, there's nothing useful in that version to justify the size which is almost double the regular Internet Shareware releases.

I also remember someone mentioning somewhere that the release of the Retail Shareware itself was also not the version that the developers intended. Apparently, they sent the wrong version to the publishers by mistake. I cannot tell how reliable this story is though, but IIRC it was mentioned by someone at the Duke4net forums, and people there know a lot about Build engine games.
OleBumma
Less than a nibble

Post by OleBumma »

I love all the informations you guys is sharing with each other.
wished I've been more curious about this kind of stuff back in the days, so I could be on the same page with you all. :)
Currently looking for Quake 2's early patches. If you can help me, hmu!
OleBumma
Less than a nibble

Re:

Post by OleBumma »

DOSGuy wrote: August 17th, 2007, 2:37 am They were available split and unified, but are these files unified? They contain the seven data files from the split versions.
this comes from a live chat John Romero had with the fanbase on the same day he uploaded v0.91 to id's ftp site.

<RomeroJ> The SW ZIP is 8.59MB download due THIS afternoon

8.59MB matches size with quake091.zip, the multi archive amounts to 8.61MB.
now I can't remember if the multi archive came straight from id software, but it looks like the unified pack has generated the split version, not the other way around, and kinda tells they were more clinging to drop single archives for the main part (internal files called by the installer would already be split into multi parts anyway to fit floppies).
Currently looking for Quake 2's early patches. If you can help me, hmu!