Newcomers Welcome Page & 1st Post

Introduce yourself!
gonwk
Less than a nibble

Newcomers Welcome Page & 1st Post

Post by gonwk »

Hi Admin and all,

Your Sign-Up instruction said that I had to post within the 1st 30 days so you know I am NOT an autobot ... so here it goes.

So, I looked around on the Forum and I could not find a "Just Say Hi" page or something like that ... so I can tag to and make my "1st Post". so, I figured may be others would have this probelm ... that is why I TITLED the Thread ... "NEWCOMERS WELCOME PAGE & 1ST POST".

Anyway ... Just dropping a line to say Hi ... found this site by accident ... I think I will have some FUN. I have some easy older games that will have to run some Emulator or VM or ... to get it running on my Stupid "VISTA Home Premium 64-bit" ... which I hate since some of my Freeware Software don't run on X64.

Thanks for the site.

G!:)
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Newcomers Welcome Page & 1st Post

Post by DOSGuy »

An introduction page is a good idea.
"please post, vote, or do something to prove that you're human"
The key words here are "do something". Logging in at least once following registration is a great start. Spambots make one attempt at posting spam and then never return. As far as proving that you're human by posting, if you can't think of anything relevant to post, you can always rate one of the games on the site. Some people register just so that they can rate a favorite game.

Anyway, I wrote that at a time when the majority of registrations were from bots, sometimes half a dozen per day. At that time, I assumed that any account that didn't do anything within a month of registering was registered by a bot, and I was probably right. The anti-bot question has pretty much eliminated the problem. I haven't removed the message because, well, I think it still makes a certain amount of sense. Why register if you're not planning to ever do anything with your account? If the scary notice encourages people to participate in the community, I think that's a good thing.

So, thank you for participating by creating a welcome thread for newcomers!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MattBianco
Less than a nibble

Post by MattBianco »

Hello all friends of classic games!
Another new user trying to pass the turing test here :) !

I also came here "by accident". Trying to find more info about the Win16 classic Oil Baron which I absolutely enjoyed. Seems I'm pretty much alone in remembering that game, as I'm so far the only one who has rated it here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=585

(Yes, I liked the game enough to make a "clone" of it! :shock: Available at http://www.apebroker.com/welcome.php )

See y'all!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello! I must say I haven't heard about Oil Baron until today :lol:
BirdWatcher
Less than a nibble

Post by BirdWatcher »

Hello! My sister told me about this site and I just hardly dared to believe it I was so delighted! These games are so important to me, and I was afraid of losing them forever. A huge thanks to DOSguy for making this site! :D
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello, and welcome! ^_^
BirdWatcher
Less than a nibble

Post by BirdWatcher »

Thanks! :D
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Welcome, and you're welcome, BirdWatcher!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
InvisibleUp
Less than a nibble

Post by InvisibleUp »

Hey, I'm InvisibleUp. I honestly can't remember when I found this site, but it's my go-to place when I'm in the mood for something like Wacky Wheels or ZZT. Awesome site, keep up the good work.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Welcome, InvisibleUp! Enjoy your stay :)
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I am really upset that for some reason, my Vista is horrible with graphics. The delays in updating the system is acceptable however just not have that something you cann't describe. hehe