Wargame [War-8}!]

These requests for help have been resolved, but they may help you find a game that you're looking for
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Wargame

Post by DOSGuy »

I used to play a game called "Wargame". Wargame was the directory, and the executable was either wargame.exe or war.exe.

Two humans controlled four or five tanks each (I think one side was red and the other side was blue) which were sitting on a hilly terrain that had some buildings for cover. If a building took enough damage, it would collapse. There was only one type of weapon, and you chose the angle and power. I'm pretty sure that the tanks couldn't drive, but the weapon explosions could tunnel through the terrain.

The most distinctive thing about the game was the title screen which said, simply, "WAR", and small explosions would appear around the word. The explosions remained on the screen as new explosions occurred, and if you left the game long enough, they would eventually fill the rectangular area around the word with speckles of color. It had to have been EGA: there were more than 4 colors but less than 256 -- 16 sounds about right -- but they weren't drawn from a large enough palette to have been 640x480 VGA. There's absolutely no chance that they were tweaked text-mode CGA "graphics" like 42, because the graphics were too detailed.

I'm pretty sure that the game was shareware -- I think I can remember seeing ordering information. Every time I look for the game online, I just get Tank Wars or Scorched Earth or that stupid Gulf War game for Windows 3.1, or games where you control two movable tanks in an overhead view simulation. It's frustrated me for years, so I decided it was finally time to just find the disk and see what it was. No luck so far. Any ideas?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
leilei
File Contributor

Re: Wargame

Post by leilei »

i'll check my shovelware folder today for a more thorough search. I couldn't find any "WARGAME" though.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

The awful thing is... I think I've had and played that game at one time. But I don't think I still have it. That was a LONG time ago (mid-90s maybe). I'll check some of my old backups later, but don't count on me finding it though.
Chinese checkers. Mashed potatoes! And a tyrannosaurus rex!
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

A friend of mine, and the resident computer expert at my old high school, helped me find it today. It's called War-8}!, which made the name really hard to remember. That's an emoticon at the end of the name. He remembered the game in even more detail than I did. He used to play it as a child, too, which was more recent for him than it was for me.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

Cool :D
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

Awesome. I'll grab it. Thanks.
Chinese checkers. Mashed potatoes! And a tyrannosaurus rex!