No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 0

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Jumpman Lives!

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
Frenkel
5-bit member

Post by Frenkel »

The source code of Jumpman Lives! can be found here.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

That's amazing!

I don't doubt the source, but there doesn't seem to be a license inside the zip file. Can you point me to any material that would prove that Dave Sharpless grants his permission to distribute the source code?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
Frenkel
5-bit member

Post by Frenkel »

The closest thing to proof of Dave's permission is this:
A huge thankyou to Jumpman Lives programmer Dave Sharpless who has made the Jumpman Lives source code available for public use. It is available here (916K). The game was developed using Turbo Pascal 6.0 but also seems to work just fine under Borland Pascal 7.0.
Source

Or you could ask him yourself. His e-mail address is at the bottom of this Apogee Legacy Interview with him. And when you e-mail him, could you ask him if you can put the registered versions of Joust VGA and Mario Bros VGA on your site :).
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I've been following along on the 3D Realms board, so I thought I might not get a response if I asked him myself. I was kind of hoping he had a website. There's no mention of any limitation of license, or exclusive distribution rights, so I'm going to put the source on the site.

It had never occurred to me to play Mario VGA or Joust VGA because I generally don't care for those sorts of adaptations, and I made an assumption that a game would have to be original, in both design and concept, in order to be classic. It always seemed like there was a hundred Pacman and Tetris clones, so what would make one more memorable than another? Some PC adaptations are just straight rip-offs, where someone was trying to make a buck off of someone else's work, but Jumpman Lives! proves that some adaptations are worth consideration. I'll give the games a try and ask Dave about the rights.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.