Jetix UK Magazine game demos on included DVDs and VCDs

Requests for games to be added to the site
TheREALOtherFiles
Less than a nibble

Jetix UK Magazine game demos on included DVDs and VCDs

Post by TheREALOtherFiles »

When reading up some info about the UK Jetix Magazine, I happen to come across info about the PC game demos they packed in on some discs for titles like THQ's PC/Console game for The Incredibles and Sega's Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Heroes (which are from the Windows XP era), and was reminded about RGB Classic Games having a Windows XP-era demo or two last year. (TRON 2.0 and Halo: Combat Evolved for Windows) I was thinking if any of the demos on these Jetix Magazine discs would be okay to be on RGB Classic Games given their demo-ey nature. Some games the site have can be demo-only so as to not piss off the rights holders (TRON 2.0 is available as a full buyable Steam game after all), so I think these, even from a historical perspective, would fit the site well.

https://archive.org/details/jetixDVDs

Heck, the demo for The Incredibles is a USA demo with the ESRB's RP symbol, as opposed to the PEGI 7 or 12, or BBFC PG it probably got in the UK, their T for Teen equivalent in regards to that game. Some trailers on the DVD-Video parts of the discs even come up with RP and E symbols, which is weird for Britain, though some game ads like Codemasters' Football (Soccer) game they put out there look and play smoothly from what I saw, while the US Spyro ad had screwed up timing, because they lazily PAL'd an NTSC trailer. Weird.
"Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat mistakes they made in the past." -Chris Pirillo, 2016
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Jetix UK Magazine game demos on included DVDs and VCDs

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello, and welcome to the forums! Please feel free to introduce yourself in the respective forum section. Note that we have post moderation for new users as a spam countermeasure, so your posts will not show up immediately for a while.

I haven't heard of the Jetix UK magazine before. The first issue appeared in 2004,so it's a bit out of the time frame that I am personally interested in.

Are you aware of Hallfiry's magazine coverdisk catalogue? It's a Python-based index and search tool that encompasses a lot of cover CDs from the early 90s to mid-2000, many such CDs available from archive.org, other preservation sites, or in Hallfiry's personal collection. I'd say this is the best such tool currently available, and has already proved itself exceptionally useful.
TheREALOtherFiles
Less than a nibble

Re: Jetix UK Magazine game demos on included DVDs and VCDs

Post by TheREALOtherFiles »

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/ ... s/techinfo
According to MobyGames, the PC version of The Incredibles had a minimum requirement of Windows 98 and a Pentium III, so the demo, whilst also 2004 like the game, could kinda be considered Win9x-category worthy there, maybe the Theme Hospital demos are more RGBCG worthy since it's an older game. (I think the Jetix discs had those demos, if not, maybe Computer Gaming World had those on their CDs/DVDs in America.)
"Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat mistakes they made in the past." -Chris Pirillo, 2016