GTA 1997 Full Version?

Discuss classic PC games
Soylent
Less than a nibble

GTA 1997 Full Version?

Post by Soylent »

Where can I download the full version of GTA 1997? Do I have to pay to get the registered? Currently using the demo...
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: GTA 1997 Full Version?

Post by MrFlibble »

I vaguely remember the game being available for a while as a free download from Rockstar Games website, but I think it's been taken down since.

This is what Wikipedia says:
The PC version comes in several different executables for DOS and MS-Windows, which use a single set of data files (except for the 8-bit colour DOS version which uses different but similar graphics). It was previously available as a free download as part of the Rockstar Classics (alongside Wild Metal and Grand Theft Auto 2), however the free download service is currently unavailable.
Please note that we will not advise on ways of obtaining an unlicensed copy of any game, as this is against the rules here.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

It was never a permanent freeware declaration. They were just giving it away for awhile.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

It was? Admittedly I never looked very deep into it but I think it was not really stated explicitly on that download page.

Actually it says that
The Rockstar Classics collection is our series of complimentary full PC game downloads, provided exclusively to members of the Rockstar Games mailing list. These games, each available free of charge and optimized for play on modern PCs, offer a nostalgic trip back in time to the early days of the Rockstar legacy.
<...>
Choose from the games above, fill out the required forms to register for the Rockstar mailing list, and a link will be sent to you with your full game download. Now don't say we never gave you anything.
I had the impression that the free giveaway was pulled back after a change in company management or something.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Permanence is perhaps implied, but it's not the same thing as when, say, Apogee released a bunch of games as freeware and included a license stating as much. A license like that might make the declaration irrevocable, whereas Rockstar's declaration on their website may not constitute a legally binding declaration. "Complimentary" suggests a giveaway rather than a change in legal status, and a giveaway can end at any time.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.