No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 2

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Trugg

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Trugg

Post by MrFlibble »

This is one of the best puzzle-oriented Boulder Dash like games that I have tried out so far, which somehow seems to be not very widely known. A shame that the full version is no longer sold, and there appears little likelihood of this changing any time soon.

The music sounds even better if you use Gravis Ultrasound, there's no need to install the patches, just set gus=true in DOSBox conf.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

I always found this game interesting. The music format always interested me because it was a RIFF format like .wav or .rmi but I never knew what format it actually was. It wasn't until years later I discovered that it was just a custom format created for the Digital Sound Interface Kit, a C and Pascal library for adding digital audio to your games/programs, which the creators of Trugg used so they didn't have to write all the audio code themselves from scratch.

The source code of this library is still available as dsik_c.zip or dsik_pas.zip, from places such as lanet.lv, which includes utilities for converting .mod/.s3m/etc. into DSIK's .dsm format. The .dsm format itself is very close to S3M just with the different sections split up into RIFF chunks instead, so in hindsight it was hardly worth developing a new file format!

I wrote a converter as part of Camoto to turn them back into S3Ms and uploaded them to the VGMPF (download the 'game rip') so they can be played outside the game.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Lots of interesting info here, thanks for sharing!