Thieving Time - making an Apogee-inspired platformer

Discuss coding, porting and creating games
Elkondo
Less than a nibble

Thieving Time - making an Apogee-inspired platformer

Post by Elkondo »

So some time ago I posted here to ask for Crystal Caves font. Just wanted to follow up on that a bit.
Since then, I decided to just make it a completely new game, just heavily inspired by CC, a spiritual successor of sorts to both that and Secret Agent.
I came up with Thieving Time, a game about a thief stealing stuff from mansions and castles. The development is going slowly but smoothly, since I've got a full-time job and other responsibilities. I'm still using a few sprites ripped from Crystal Caves, but I've been replacing them steadily.

You can try the game online (requires WebGL2): tt.kons.pw
Controls: Z - jump, X - shoot, Arrows - move. C flips player's gravity, it's only there for testing and debugging.
Press X on switches to use them.
Your bolts stick to walls (and to each other) so you can create your own platforms.
The current build is still only 1 proper level. The goal is to get all the crystals and reach the exit, though I'll be changing it in final release. Hope you like it.

If you have any feedback or ideas, I'll be more than happy to read them.
TT1_screen3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K1n9_Duk3
4-bit nibble

Re: Thieving Time - making an Apogee-inspired platformer

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Good job so far. There are some interesting gameplay mechanics in there (which I won't mention here to avoid spoilers).

A few issues I noticed:
- The game is borderline unplayable on a German keyboard layout (QWERTZ instead of QWERTY). Maybe you could use X, C, V instead of Z, X, C?
- There were some weird things going on with the controls in general. The game sometimes didn't react when I hit the Jump or Fire key, and the character sometimes kept walking for a moment after I had already let go of the arrow keys.
Elkondo
Less than a nibble

Re: Thieving Time - making an Apogee-inspired platformer

Post by Elkondo »

I have a feeling those are just due to the game being played in a browser. I'll see if anything can be done about this, but the final release will be a standalone exe which should fix that.
And yeah, I totally forgot about the QWERTZ layout, I'll keep that in mind. Ctrl/Alt also work as jump/shoot currently, but I know it causes issues when used in a browser.
Thanks for checking it out.