[Update] Hocus Pocus Level editor v1.2

Discuss game modding
Hisymak
4-bit nibble

Re: [Release] Hocus Pocus Level editor

Post by Hisymak »

Here is preview for new upcoming features in planned HocusEditor 1.1 release:
(Thanks to K1n9_Duk3 for providing information about data in HOCUS.EXE file)

Hisymak
4-bit nibble

[Update] Hocus Pocus Level editor v1.1

Post by Hisymak »

Hocus Pocus Level Editor 1.1 released

What is new:
- You can export and import any file from/to HOCUS.DAT (so you can replace graphics, music, sounds...)
- You can edit level properties which are stored inside HOCUS.EXE (par times, elevator tiles, music, tileset...)
- Added a README file with some help and documentation, based on frequent questions (how the layers work, how to create switch puzzles etc.)
- Added a patching feature (so you can easily distribute your mods without need to send whole HOCUS.EXE and HOCUS.DAT files)
- Some other minor improvements

Download:
Here

For those who are interested in using their custom tileset and graphics:
I created a document called "Hocus Pocus graphics replacement guide" describing in detail how to replace tilesets and backdrops with your custom ones. The document is available inside the zip file.

I am posting again the VioletCLM's Hocus Pocus level which he posted on Public Commander Keen forum some time ago, along with a custom music I chose for it. This is actually a "mod patch", so I want to demonstrate how the new "Apply mod patch" feature works. You don't need to manually import the level and the music files, the editor will import everything for you with one click.
Download here

Enjoy.
arthurdecastro
Less than a nibble

Re: [Update] Hocus Pocus Level editor v1.1

Post by arthurdecastro »

Cool! But about export any file... can I even export the sprites of the game? (because this would be very helpful for a project/tribute for Hocus Pocus that I did by ripping the sprites from a video file >.<' some time ago...)
Hisymak
4-bit nibble

Post by Hisymak »

Hi, there exist no tool at all to extract the sprites from the game. The game uses its custom sprite format which is "a bit complicated" so nobody probably bothered creating a tool to view/extract/replace them. I actually had an idea to create such tool, but I scrapped it because I thought it was very long time since the first level editor release and I didn't want to let you wait even longer. But I will eventually do it, if I see enough interest in Hocus Pocus modding at all.
arthurdecastro
Less than a nibble

Post by arthurdecastro »

Plz, create this tool. I really don't want anyone having to manually rip the sprites like me, it take much time ;-;
K1n9_Duk3
4-bit nibble

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

arthurdecastro wrote:Plz, create this tool. I really don't want anyone having to manually rip the sprites like me, it take much time ;-;
Here's something that might have helped:

http://home.arcor.de/k1n9duk3/files/hpsprites.zip

I originally wrote the text file for Hisymak, that's why I talk about "your editor" here and there. Feel free to use any of the info in that zip. I would like to see what you make of it.
Hisymak
4-bit nibble

Post by Hisymak »

I'm actually working on importing and exporting sprites feature within my Hocus Pocus level editor right now. In can now read and view the sprites and export them into a .png file, I'm going to release this during next few days. Importing will be probably a bit tough, but it's my goal to finally make a functional tool for replacing Hocus Pocus sprites! Stay tuned for the new stuff coming.
arthurdecastro
Less than a nibble

Post by arthurdecastro »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Here's something that might have helped:

http://home.arcor.de/k1n9duk3/files/hpsprites.zip

I originally wrote the text file for Hisymak, that's why I talk about "your editor" here and there. Feel free to use any of the info in that zip. I would like to see what you make of it.
Wow, thanks for the ZIP :D

I originally rip some sprites for a college work. The result is here: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/adventure ... pokus-7204 however, sometimes this website got some bugs and the game don't play right, but last time I've tested it worked well. I need to upload a better version that I have too, but I'm lazy for this e.e
Hisymak
4-bit nibble

Post by Hisymak »

arthurdecastro wrote:I originally rip some sprites for a college work. The result is here: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/adventure ... pokus-7204 however, sometimes this website got some bugs and the game don't play right, but last time I've tested it worked well. I need to upload a better version that I have too, but I'm lazy for this e.e
Thank you for posting this! I just tried it out and want to ask wheter it's possible to shoot there? Also if you have a better version don't hesitate to upload it.

And I wanted to ask how much is it possible to remake these levels for the original Hocus Pocus? Or possibly make even some new ones?
K1n9_Duk3
4-bit nibble

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

arthurdecastro wrote:I originally rip some sprites for a college work. The result is here: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/adventure ... pokus-7204
Nice little platformer game, but sadly the gameplay doesn't have anything in common with the original.

I was actually thinking about writing a re-engineered version of Hocus Pocus (in ReDuke style) but when I relized that the game used random factors for the AI, I didn't even bother to start. Recreating that randomness for demo playback compatibility would have been impossible. For the same reason, ReCosmo (leaked), ReDuke2 (direct video capture from ReDuke2, no audio editing done on this one -- it even says "Thanks for using ReDuke II" at the end but nobody seemed to notice) and ReRescue (a Word Rescue remake) didn't make it past early alpha stages. (Well, there were some additional reasons for ReDuke2. :roll: )
arthurdecastro
Less than a nibble

Post by arthurdecastro »

Hisymak wrote:Thank you for posting this! I just tried it out and want to ask wheter it's possible to shoot there? Also if you have a better version don't hesitate to upload it.

And I wanted to ask how much is it possible to remake these levels for the original Hocus Pocus? Or possibly make even some new ones?

I have a weekend to do this, and I've spend two days for sprite-rip/animations and programming and other day for the levels, so I don't had time to figure how make the shoot function. In fact, to implemente the shoot ability I would need to recreate all the maps with different layers (to hit only the monsters and not the background). But I kind hate Construct 2 because IT'S SO FUCKING LIMITED.

The newer version just have some new features for the college work, but it's noting original to Hocus Pocus.

I guess is possibly make all the original levels on Construct 2, but I would prefer some better engine like Unity for this.
Hisymak
4-bit nibble

Post by Hisymak »

Another preview of great upcoming features:

1. Viewing and exporting sprites (importing sprites will be done too):

2. Drawing sprites on the map (can be turned on and off):

3. The "Save map image" now saves into .png instead of extremely huge .bmp file.
arthurdecastro
Less than a nibble

Post by arthurdecastro »

OMG, that is awesome! Can't wait to get these sprites and make something on college again xD

Also, could the program open/mod things in the beta (I've never tried that)?
Hisymak
4-bit nibble

Post by Hisymak »

I actually do not have the beta version (could not find download for it anywhere). But if I had it I could make the editor configuration for this version too, so that it would be possible to edit/mod the beta version (as long as the level format and other formats are not different).

And I also do not have full version 1.0, that's why this configuration is missing too.
Hisymak
4-bit nibble

Post by Hisymak »

Good news everyone!

Release of HocusEditor version 1.2 is here!

With this new version, HocusEditor is no longer just a level editor, but it has developed into a complex modding tool for this awesome and popular classic VGA platformer!
Now, all kinds of graphics, most notably sprites, are editable - that means total conversions are likely to come!

What is new in this release:
- Created tool for viewing, exporting and importing sprites
- Created tool for viewing, exporting and importing menu and UI graphics
- The document "Graphics replacement guide" was updated accordingly
- Sprites are drawn on map (can be turned on and off)
- The "Save map image" now saves into .png instead of extremely huge .bmp file
- Added exe patching feature
- Added support for beta version
- Added "Compute VRAM usage" function

Download link:
Here

Demonstration:
To show you the full power of editing the sprites, I decided to turn Hocus Pocus into Doom marine and let him fight against the hellish monsters everyone knows from the legendary 3D game. Let's introduce Doom Pocus:

Fire Crocs turned into Imps and Devil Dan is now a Cacodemon.

Shooting dat Zombie and Imps.

Besieged by Lost Souls.

The final battle with a vicious Cyberdemon.

Screenshots:
The final sprite editing UI.

Sprites now being drawn on the map.

The "Compute VRAM usage" helps you manage the limitations.

Important note:
If you work on your mod and something is not clear to you, you don't know how to achieve something, run into a problem, or just found a bug or missing functionality, don't hesitate to ask me! I spent a reasonable time making this program and playing around with the modifications so I'm really willing to share any information and experience with you.