Mobile porting offer

Discuss coding, porting and creating games
Igor Chesnokov
Less than a nibble

Mobile porting offer

Post by Igor Chesnokov »

My name is Igor Chesnokov.

I am mobile developer for more than 10 years. Now I work on Android
mostly, and iOS. I have a big background in development and especially mobile porting.
Now I am working independently for myself.

My offer:
I have an idea to port old DOS and Windows games to modern mobile platforms.
If someone kindly give me source code of game, I'll try to port this to Android
and iOS, and publish it. Maybe I also port it to Windows Phone.
Game provider will receive some % of overall benefit (discussable) - from paid games or free with Ads.
No external investment required for my work.

I hope my offer will be interesting for somebody...

Please send me your ideas what to port, I'll be happy to research it!

You can contact me directly:
e-mail: ichesnokov <{at}> gmail <{dot}> com
MSN: ichesnokov <{at}> hotmail <{dot}> com
Phone: +79185919671 (English, Russian)
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Re: Mobile porting offer

Post by developertn »

Jesus! Well, I don't want to give out my private information because my mom teaches me to be safe and prevents me from being hurt. However my father allows me to give away my creations for free or just enough to get by because he doesn't want me to take advantage of anyone. So I don't think God would mind if you browse through all my source code and just accept my humble games as a gift. I don't feel like giving out my emails and stuffs. If you browse earlier in my programming career section you should be able to find "Ping Pong". One of the versions should be a simple two player mode that maybe you can code. I could implement a single player if there isn't already one there. Please let me know if you think that is good. I will post the update in public for you.
Igor Chesnokov
Less than a nibble

Post by Igor Chesnokov »

Many thanks!
I'm researching some of your projects already.
And, thank you for the gift! :) I'll be successful in my idea I'll also make a gift for you too, definitely! :)
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Dear Igor, welcome to the forums!
Igor Chesnokov wrote:My offer:
I have an idea to port old DOS and Windows games to modern mobile platforms.
If someone kindly give me source code of game, I'll try to port this to Android
and iOS, and publish it. Maybe I also port it to Windows Phone.
Game provider will receive some % of overall benefit (discussable) - from paid games or free with Ads.
No external investment required for my work.
It is my understanding that DOSBox has been ported both to Android and iOS. At least, the Android port seems pretty functional, judging by numerous videos that can be found on YouTube. Thus, any DOS game that DOSBox is capable of running can be theoretically run on Android.

I'm not sure what you mean by "game provider"?

There is a number of games with source code that are available here at RGB Classic Games. Their respective authors have released the code to the public under various licenses, and you should check each to determine if the license terms allow third parties to create ports and further distribute them for profit in any form. You do not need any kind of permission from RGB Classic Games administration to obtain the source code from the respective games' pages.

I would assume that popular games such as Doom have already been ported to the platforms you mention.
Igor Chesnokov
Less than a nibble

Post by Igor Chesnokov »

Dear MrFlibble!

I know about DOSBox, but consider my thoughts:
- No any 13-years old child will be installing DOSBox to play a game... Install aDOSBox, then somehow place a game into SDCard... No.
- No application and comments exists on Markets, no Leaderboards and Google Multiplayer.
- Game will work faster and take less resources when ported but not simulated by DOSBox.

Some time ago I've developed a porting framework from BREW to Windows Mobile. As a result BREW games became compilable for WM.
~50 games were published by different publishers, such as EA, Sega, Vivendi Games, HandsOn, etc., based on this framework.
So now I'm planning to develop DOS API layer to compile pure DOS games for Android and iOS.

GREAT THANKS YOU FOR THE LINKS!
BTW, by "game provider" I meant original developer.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Igor Chesnokov wrote:BTW, by "game provider" I meant original developer.
That's what I thought. I'm not sure though how it can be arranged that the developer/copyright holder may get a share of revenue after a game has been released as open source.

Also please keep in mind that some games' source has been released by the developers but the game, or some of its parts, is still owned by a certain party. For example, you have the full source code of In Pursuit of Greed. However, the author released this on the following terms (indicated at the game page):
These sources are provided for educational and historical purposes.
No assets or code may be used in any way commercially.
Personal and educational use only.
Also, if you're doing a port of a DOS game, it would be nice to take the aspect ratio issue into account (we have a small discussion about it here).