JCcompt3 - version 2 (THE WORST)

Discuss coding, porting and creating games
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

JCcompt3 - version 2 (THE WORST)

Post by developertn »

Here is the worst compression program EVER#!!

It nearly doubles the original size.

Although WinRAR 3.93 is a paid program, it at least keeps close to the same size.

Well, for those who want the world record on worst compression, you can download it here.
[There are five files.]

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t70ms ... COMPT3.EXE

http://www.mediafire.com/view/nn3here32 ... jccompt3.c

http://www.mediafire.com/view/khet85febf7znnl/UNCOMP

http://www.mediafire.com/view/oyppx5m0x ... uncomp.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2oysg ... m/COMPRESS

I guess that is why I am poor. People just rather pay $29 for WinRAR 3.93 - which is a better compression program!!
For what it is worth, it is freeware so you could say you know the author since I wrote the program.

-Tien Khoa Nguyen
JCcompt3 - version (author)
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Re: JCcompt3 - version 2 (THE WORST)

Post by developertn »

I just wanted to take this time out to say a few words in honour of my two real parents.

Today, I see how much they have done for me.

When I was growing up I hated both my parents for being so strict on studying and working to do my homework on my own.

Now, I see the reason.

Had I cheated on my homework I would have to depend on others.

However, by doing my own homework I develop the strong confidence to solve most programmer problems myself.

Thank you Jesus Christ that my real dad (Nguyen Binh Thuy) and my real mom (Huong Thi Vu) taught me the values of right!
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe

I think I am going to specialize in this app: JCcompt3 - version 2.

I have taken a liking to compression algorithms.

My favourite is WinRAR 3.93 because I paid my mom's hard earned money for it. haha

Actually, I do have a special copy of 7-ZIP that I personally made because I could not find WinRAR 3.93 at one point.

7-ZIP also impresses me however it does not incorporate all the features of WinRAR 3.93.

For instance, I do not think it has self-extracting files.

WinRAR 3.93 has the ability to self extract and automatically run what was extracted.

Anyways, I am not going to pay another twenty nine bucks when I get under two hundred for food a month.

That extra twenty nine bucks could go to my mom who lives with me.

Thank you Jesus Christ that I take perfect care of all my family and relatives!

At least my desire is to take perfect care of all my real family and my real relatives.

It is tough when you are on welfare and always feel like a failure.

I am grateful because I get to work on my own project at my own leisure - Thank God for that!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I am studying the two Borland books at last.

Actually, I have maybe twelve thick Borland books or so.

I wish I could have the strength to finish soon.

Unfortunately the rate I am going is going to take me maybe ten years + 2. hehe

Well, what I like is that I prefer to actually be someone who knows what I am talking about.

I would rather know how being a developer actually is rather than just textbook.

I remember the days when I was just a kid in college.

I was just taken perfect care of by my two real parents.

I did not know any better.

I went to school and that was all I knew.

Now a days I have a bit more experience as far as developing apps are concerned.

I have specialized in MS-DOS apps.

What I like about my situation is that because I am on welfare I get to work in MS-DOS on my leisure.

I know no one really cares about MS-DOS these days.

They have Microsoft Windows 8.

To confess, I am actually using Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 dual boot with Snow Leopard.

Whether I am in Mac-Mode or XP-mode I am developing for MS-DOS.

Well, anyways, the main point is whether it be this compression hype that I *think* I like or something else,
I hope to be stable at last so help me God!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

developertn wrote:7-ZIP also impresses me however it does not incorporate all the features of WinRAR 3.93.

For instance, I do not think it has self-extracting files.
7-Zip does have the option to make SFX archives. I think if you download the extras package you can even script a pretty complex installer routine with it. Granted it does not have a wizard to do this for you like WinRAR does, but the functionality is there.

What 7-Zip does not have is a built-in text viewer. However, you can mount an external programme of your liking to work as a text viewer/editor.
developertn wrote:I know no one really cares about MS-DOS these days.
Except for the people here, that is. Or here. Or here and here.

In fact, there are apparently quite a few websites and forums dedicated to DOS hardware and software.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Thanks for the heads up on the patches.

Also, I didn't know of all those places before.

I am just too tired to go many places else right now hehe :oops:
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Basic self-extracting archive functionality does not require additional packages in 7-Zip.

Except for VOGONS, I did not know about those sites either, I just Googled them :)

VOGONS is a great place BTW, it hosts the official DOSBox developer forums among other things.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Cool. Now I know where to go if I needed to see what is up with the DOSBox group. hehe

BTW, I use VirtualBox with XP to develop my applications these days. I find it to be a powerful IDE (Integrated Development Environment). For instance, I get to use the default NOTEPAD to create, edit, and produce my programs. DOSBox is primarily used for testing the compatibility of what I produced with DOS since I do not have the real thing.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I am starting to feel like my one friend. He always seem to be starting a project and never finishing them!hehe

I want to improve this JCcompt3 so it is a commercial product yet I am already forgetting about it.

You know the things that go into a commercial product is a box, instruction booklet, a good design 3.5" diskette and such.

Imagine getting all those prepared for thousands of copies to be produced only to not know how many will be sold.

You might mass produce 1000 copies and end up selling none of it. That would be a bummer. hehe
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe

I have to laughtn at my self since my compression routine on average is a bigger size than the original. I think it is ironic that my program is called "compression" yet it doubles the file size at times!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

developertn wrote:For instance, I get to use the default NOTEPAD to create, edit, and produce my programs.
Do you know Notepad++? It's a pretty versatile text editor designed specifically for programmers, but it also works as a very good text viewer/editor with lots of options.
developertn wrote:I want to improve this JCcompt3 so it is a commercial product
If you're really considering this note that you will face very serious competition (to put it mildly). To succeed you need to either outdo competitive programmes in performance, or integrate some new features that others don't have which will be attractive to customers. Or both.

On a related note, a while ago I found an archiver called HaoZip. In a nutshell, it's a Chinese WinRAR clone, except that they use the open source 7z format instead of the proprietary RAR one, and also there are some integrated extra features. The interface though is neraly a one-to-one copy of WinRAR's.

This one caught my attention because when I had WinRAR shareware, it was very convenient to use it as a file manager. I have tried quite a few different freeware archiver utilities, but most of them do not have an integrated file manager, or it is present in a very limited form. 7-Zip is nice in this respect, but it's somewhat lacking: there's no text viewer, and for some reason it is not possible to sort files by type/extension. So I tried HaoZip but didn't settle with it, because it seems to use up more systems resources that WinRAR, and is noticeably slower on low-spec machines. This should not be a problem on newer computers though.

Also please note that some users complain about HaoZip installing Chinese third-party software without the user's knowledge or consent. So please use it at your own risk.

Eventually I switched to FreeCommander as the file manager. It can also open and extract ZIP and RAR archives without the need for any external programmes, as well as create ZIP archives.

BTW, if you Google a bit you can find some informative articles on software comparison, with suggestions as to what freeware or proprietary software you can user for a particular purpose. I've just dug up one about free archivers:
http://www.freewaregenius.com/the-best- ... omparison/

[Edit] I haven't checked the news on archivers for a while, apparently the free Bandizip also has some features of the WinRAR interface.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Thank you MrFlibble! I am surprised and happy that you are helping me out with very important guidance about my competitors!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stress enough "THANK YOU!"

I KNOW I am not that good. My compression is not that complex. It is actually a simple routine that is under two dozen K or so. Anyways, I like the secret agreement that I have with the government. I play around and mess around with whatever I feel is important. And if something interesting pops up like a safe operating instruction needs to be stress then I MUST share it as soon as safe to share and as much impact as possible so all is always safe and happy for the rest of their life as soon as possible.

I just like to think I am good at something. I want to be good at something to feel useful.

I am scared that if I get old and have nothing to offer my family will kick me out somehow and leave me hanging.

Also, I am scared that if I have nothing to offer then everyone will leave me hanging.

That is why I am always trying to produce something!!

Whether it be something small or something big, I try to produce something.

If I don't have anything then I try to give knowledge like the trimmer safe working knowledge.

I have to confess that I have a luxury home so I am worried I do not have enough to pay off all my debts for the home and all#!!

Being on welfare I only get so much every month to pay off my retired parent's home.

I also worry that I cannot depend on government assistance.

So as you can see - I worry a lot.

Thank you Jesus Christ for all the DIVINE INTERVENTION so I am able to somehow by God's gift live on my own terms!!!!! ;)
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

You're welcome :)
developertn wrote:I just like to think I am good at something. I want to be good at something to feel useful.
Don't forget about your shmup project. You have successfully tackled the speed cycle dependence and sprite flicker issues, and if you add enough features I think you could try submitting the game to Steam Greenlight or an indie publishing site like IndieDB or Desura.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe

I think the only real impact I have in the programming world is my "God's scroller routines"; You know back in the days I programmed a sideways text scroller. I think that was the first of its kind. Even the upside down version was unique to me at the time of creation? Anyways, in The Holy Bible it states we ALL want attention of some kind. If all people had to pay attention to one person then that would be unfair. This is true since according to The Holy Bible it states all people are bless with a gift of their own. Some people are good at basketball by the mere fact that they are born tall. Others are short yet are able to cut hair in a hair salon anyways they like; They just know how to make any hair style happen.

So the main point I am getting at is people are so loving and kind!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been posting for quite some time and people just let me do my own thing at my own time. For what it is worth, I hope you all enjoy my freewares. I am most proud of my work today in Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1 interfaced with Borland Turbo C 2.01. I still have a long ways to go however I am beginning to get the hang of it.

In other words and to sum up my whole message for my life............

As we live, Thank you Jesus Christ for all the blessings you put upon me each and every moment of my life#!! :D
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

MrFlibble wrote:You're welcome :)
developertn wrote:I just like to think I am good at something. I want to be good at something to feel useful.
Don't forget about your shmup project. You have successfully tackled the speed cycle dependence and sprite flicker issues, and if you add enough features I think you could try submitting the game to Steam Greenlight or an indie publishing site like IndieDB or Desura.

Jesus! Concerning that project. Here is the update for today. It lists you in the credits somewhere so be sure to check that out. There are probably so many people yet to thank so I just lumped everyone into the "Thank you all!" part!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9nuayikrfma733d/xenon

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lt1bm ... /XENON.EXE

http://www.mediafire.com/view/mmdow37dx0u6yur/XENON.C
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus!

My status is nothing. Remember to say your prayers everyday since you are successful#!!

Bless Jesus Christ, then my mom Huong Thi Vu!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then honour to my mom, and my dad Nguyen Binh Thuy.

I would like to end this memorial day weekend with a blessing from my mother. She says I am doing fine. I just have to continue to be friendly. One day people will be my true friends. One day everyone will see how far I have come from a compression routine that does the OPPOSITE :lol:

My father tells me to keep studying and maybe one day my JCcompt3 -version 2 will be revered because of its usefulness. :D