Allen Pilgrim

Discuss interviews and ask your own questions
AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Allen Pilgrim

Post by AutoAdmin »

Here you can discuss the interview and what you liked and didn't like about it. If you have any questions that you'd like the interview subject to answer, he or she may respond at a later date.
If RGB Classic Games matters to you, tell someone!
kilodude
Classic Game Author

Re: Allen Pilgrim

Post by kilodude »

Thank you so much for doing this interview. I am honored that you would ask. If anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer them.
-Allen, Game Designer/Programmer of "Kiloblaster" and "Xargon." Game Design for "Super ZZTs: Monster Zoo" and bonus levels of "Snarf."
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

This is great, I wanted to suggests something like maybe an article on the development history of Xargon and Kiloblaster, as there are lots of interesting facts about the games but many seem to be scattered around the posts here.
kilodude
Classic Game Author

Post by kilodude »

MrFlibble wrote:This is great, I wanted to suggests something like maybe an article on the development history of Xargon and Kiloblaster, as there are lots of interesting facts about the games but many seem to be scattered around the posts here.
I should be able to make some of that available. There are some things that will not be included. :-)
-Allen, Game Designer/Programmer of "Kiloblaster" and "Xargon." Game Design for "Super ZZTs: Monster Zoo" and bonus levels of "Snarf."
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

kilodude wrote:There are some things that will not be included. :-)
But those are the best!! ;-)

That was a really interesting interview, thanks for taking the time to do it!
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the open revelation. I was already on my way to figuring it out however you got to telling me before I could do it. Anyways, The Holy Bible says to always be humble so I am grateful that at least I know it is something along the line of dual paging to prevent pixel smearing. Over 30 years of programming that is an amazing amount of experience. I see you own a business or so. Now I understand what my own father means by keep studying and always be flexible. You always have to be ready to be there when someone calls you for work.

My mother is an example of how important it is that a woman is important. She "consistently" handles the little things everyday to raise and keep the family happy. Through the little things like cooking which I am horrible at, to the big things like showing emotional support for your accomplishments - moms are the ones who make you feel so successful although there are others who can perform miracles like Jesus Christ!

In the game of chess
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I'm sorry I got interrupted. In the game of chess, the first one to go to battle loses. According to The Holy Bible those who are patient and humble to God lives to old age in peace! Those who rush and are foolish gets hurt. Remember the young kids and compare them to the elders. The elders are always kind and patient and loving. The young ones do not know any better.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I hope it's okay if I ask this question here. A while ago I tried to find different shareware releases of Xargon at cd.textfiles.com, the Internet Archive, various FTPs and websites, however every file out there seems to be version 3.0. Have there been any earlier public shareware versions of the game?
kilodude
Classic Game Author

Post by kilodude »

MrFlibble wrote:I hope it's okay if I ask this question here. A while ago I tried to find different shareware releases of Xargon at cd.textfiles.com, the Internet Archive, various FTPs and websites, however every file out there seems to be version 3.0. Have there been any earlier public shareware versions of the game?
Versions is an interesting topic. First, I'm totally fine with you asking this question here. Second, please remind me how to find the version number. I admit that I don't remember. Thanks.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Epic's shareware episodes usually have the versions number indicated in the HELPME.DOC file, and sometimes also in VENDOR.DOC (as is the case with Xargon BTW). In some cases (IIRC Solar Winds is one of them), the version number in HELPME.DOC is known to reflect just an update to documentation/ordering info, because the executables and data files are identical across such versions. However Xargon is consistently indicated as v3.0. There doesn't seem to be an internal version number in the shareware executable.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Dear Sir (Mr Allen Pilgrim),

Since you have been to the military, you would probably be my father's friend this day if he is still with me. Unfortunately, he is not. However, I believe he would want me to give credits where credits are due. My mother would want the same thing. She always tells me to not steal from someone else. My brother is the same.

The point I am getting at is that although I did not look at your source code, your tip that it needs "dual paging" pushed me to go where I normally would not have gone. I am at a new programming point in my life because of that one tip.

Of course, Jesus Christ is a given! God's son is always the key that unlocks the mystery to the upright.

Sincerely,
Tien Khoa Nguyen
May 3, 2015 The Sabbath
kilodude
Classic Game Author

Post by kilodude »

MrFlibble wrote:Epic's shareware episodes usually have the versions number indicated in the HELPME.DOC file, and sometimes also in VENDOR.DOC (as is the case with Xargon BTW). In some cases (IIRC Solar Winds is one of them), the version number in HELPME.DOC is known to reflect just an update to documentation/ordering info, because the executables and data files are identical across such versions. However Xargon is consistently indicated as v3.0. There doesn't seem to be an internal version number in the shareware executable.
Now I remember what that's all about. I thought maybe there was an internal number and I couldn't find one. Here's the truth: I did not want to release a product that had a version of 1.0 so I just made it 3.0. Technically there were enough internal updates, hundreds if not thousands, that would justify that but the reality is it is the only official version. So now you know. :)
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Dear Mr Allen,

I respect that honest reply. I have completed reading The Holy Bible two to three times. That means I have completed over three thousand pages of spiritual guidance. One of the key principles of success according to The Holy Bible is being upright. In fact, it states that those who confess the truth and make a commitment to do good from that point on are forgiven and will succeed in life. So according to the word of God you are on your way!

Sincerely,
Tien Khoa Nguyen
same day (231720)
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

kilodude wrote:Now I remember what that's all about. I thought maybe there was an internal number and I couldn't find one. Here's the truth: I did not want to release a product that had a version of 1.0 so I just made it 3.0. Technically there were enough internal updates, hundreds if not thousands, that would justify that but the reality is it is the only official version. So now you know. :)
Thanks for the explanation! :D Would you mind if this fact were added to the Xargon Trivia at MobyGames?
kilodude
Classic Game Author

Post by kilodude »

MrFlibble wrote:
kilodude wrote:Now I remember what that's all about. I thought maybe there was an internal number and I couldn't find one. Here's the truth: I did not want to release a product that had a version of 1.0 so I just made it 3.0. Technically there were enough internal updates, hundreds if not thousands, that would justify that but the reality is it is the only official version. So now you know. :)
Thanks for the explanation! :D Would you mind if this fact were added to the Xargon Trivia at MobyGames?
Feel free. I think most people can see that I'm happy to share this type of information, which may include bad or good. The one thing I will not do is say anything negative about the team I worked with.