tile rpg v3 (current)

Discuss coding, porting and creating games
pseudocoder
5-bit member

tile rpg v3 (current)

Post by pseudocoder »

Rather than make a new thread, I'll edit this one with the "newest" stuff first.

The screen buffer isn't used much, so there is some flicker. This one has a debug line showing the (x,y) pos along with the map char. There is a little "stats" window, a dialog box, of sorts, and the viewport window thingie. No gamepad support in this one

movement: arrow keys, "enter" to search, 'q' or escape to quit (twice required for some annoying reason).

April 19, 2015 latest exe / src
DosBox (extract to single folder; try 6000 cycles)

As always, any comments are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

=================================================================

exe only with gamepad support

slight update to control using the USB playstation adapter thingie:
cross to move; triangle + circle to quit
keyboard same as before 'q' or esc to quit arrow keys to move
===============================================

This version tries out a splash screen, crude menu, and a viewport of sorts; the only *working* option in the menu is a new game. For any interested, there isn't a whole lot to do short of trolling about a short world map. Forgive my complete lack of artistic ability

The zip can be found here, the source is included along with David Brackeen's bitmap routines stuffed into a lib file. I haven't yet created a lib for Tien's asm routines, but he gets all credit for those.

'q' or escape to quit. arrow keys to move.

For anyone interesting in building the source, it's compiled using Borland's large memory model.

Cheers.
Last edited by pseudocoder on April 19th, 2015, 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Re: tile rpg v2

Post by developertn »

Wow! That is pretty impressive. Great attention to detail. Kind of reminds me of the Heroes of Might and Magic game that I have. Your's is more colorful and I really like that. I think it stands out and is marketable. For what it is worth it is at least a penny. That is no insult. That is a compliment. Most games I would not pay for. However when it is done I would say it is in the PRO worth $35 per copy. Did you know WinRAR is worth like $29 or so?
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe

However, to add to your marketability, if I ever have a daughter she would love those cute graphics. Thank you - it is a classic. Thank you God for all my real people, friends, family, and so forth hehe I know what you are thinking kilodude and you have your freedom hehe Love ya!!!!!!!!!!!!
pseudocoder
5-bit member

Re: God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by pseudocoder »

developertn wrote:Jesus Christ!hehe

However, to add to your marketability, if I ever have a daughter she would love those cute graphics. Thank you - it is a classic. Thank you God for all my real people, friends, family, and so forth hehe I know what you are thinking kilodude and you have your freedom hehe Love ya!!!!!!!!!!!!
The "graphics" provide me with a lot of laughs... the MC looks as if he's hot off an 80s disco skating rink facing up or down; Tien, as always, thank you for your feedback - I sure appreciate it.

A penny eh? That would probably be too much to ask. :P
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

pseudocoder wrote:
developertn wrote:Jesus Christ!hehe

The "graphics" provide me with a lot of laughs... the MC looks as if he's hot off an 80s disco skating rink facing up or down; Tien, as always, thank you for your feedback - I sure appreciate it.

A penny eh? That would probably be too much to ask. :P
hehe - Well, for my daughter who may be born many years down the line, maybe I could never repay you! Seriously, how many times have you had that something special that you could never get with paid stuffs?
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Re: Jesus Christ!hehe

Well, I am in a good mood since the condenser fan happens to miraculously work somehow. So I guess I will say you deserve the full pay as an advance for completing the game. Just remember to update me and give me free upgrades haha

Thank you Jesus Christ I should be having ice again soon, and all that#!! haha!!!!!!!!!!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Just checked it out, the game is alright and the graphics are awesome :) I didn't figure out how to get into the town though.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

It's a small town. haha
pseudocoder
5-bit member

Post by pseudocoder »

MrFlibble wrote:Just checked it out, the game is alright and the graphics are awesome :) I didn't figure out how to get into the town though.
Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it. :) Any advice for making the game more appealing? Well.. I mean within my limited ability. :D

Sadly, it seems to have a memory leak somewhere, which tends to crash and can be replicated by extended time moving about... pooh; back to the drawing board. :(
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe

I did not look at the source code.

However I was able to move around all the places within the boards of the boundaries.

It is very talented that you were able to make such a big playing area.

Keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Hey pseudocoder,

How's your game coming along? Just because I am the big mouth on the board doesn't mean you couldn't be just as big! hehe
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

For what it is worth, it is neat the way you mapped the world in your game. I would have a hard time doing something along this game type.
pseudocoder
5-bit member

Post by pseudocoder »

developertn wrote:Hey pseudocoder,

How's your game coming along?
What a slow and tedious process it's proving to be; I'm starting to realize why actual developers use asm for games; I'm too old and forgetful to learn that now. Splitting a bmp into little slivers and sticking that in a buffer within a loop is SLOW in C. I dunno what's worse, a *stable* slow game or crash prone fast game. Maybe Hangman is more my speed. :cry:

JK; I'll look for ways to speed it up a bit, or at least try to fake it.
developertn wrote:Just because I am the big mouth on the board doesn't mean you couldn't be just as big! hehe
Heh; I've got too many things going to ascend the upper echelons of top posters. If something hasn't broken down already, it's in need of some TLC - that keeps me busy much of the week; any free time that I have this time of year, is spent watching the NHL playoffs...
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I dunno what I'm gonna be do'n. I think I'm gonna take a little time out. Got "Shredder Chess 4.0" on my computer. Not sure how far I'll get with it. I took the title of chessmaster once or such on another program. However playing people is more a problem for me. With a computer you don't have feelings so you just go hardcore. With people you just take it easy and be friends and such even if it means your ratings don't show like it should! hehe
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I'm not very good at chess but I enjoyed playing with my friend at the university even though I would always lose - due to my own mistakes most of the time. But the games were all challenging and fun nonetheless.

I think the ratings can be used to determine an adequate handicap so that players of different skill can pay with each other.