Running Mac games on a PC

Discuss classic PC games
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Running Mac games on a PC

Post by MrFlibble »

Yes, I used DOSBox because it keeps the original 256-colour palette. Also in fact the latest registered version of Executor seems to yield the best performance results with the Warcraft Demo (with the exception of the wrong palettes that is).
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Recently I discovered LairWare's shareware Macintosh port of Ultima III, and it runs fine in Executor, even in DOSBox:

I've tested this with v1.3 available from the archived copy of Lairware's website. The port features high-resolution graphics, animation and sound effects, also optional music. The unregistered shareware version allows to play freely except you can't enter the land of Ambrosia.
atheos
Less than a nibble

Post by atheos »

I'm struggling to get Executor working in DOSBox. Executor start and then crashes immediately. Can someone post which version of Executor they are using and their dosbox.conf file?
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I got the latest version from the developer FTP snapshot that is available from the Internet Archive. However I did not have any problems with previous demo versions of Executor either. I also don't remember having to change anything in particular in dosbox.conf to run it.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Recently I learned of a newer project called M.A.C.E. which has similar goals to those of Executor: to provide a cross-platform wrapper/emulator for Mac 64k games to run on modern OSs without the need for proprietary Macintosh BIOS ROMs or copies of MacOS:
https://mace.software/news/

The team is reporting some good progress, and while there is no build of the emulator available you can get several test games bundled with their wrapper which run on modern MacOS and Windows versions.