DOS utilities suggestions

Post suggestions, correct errors or omissions, or anything else about the site
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

DOS utilities suggestions

Post by MrFlibble »

A while ago we discussed the possibility of including the DOS versions of PKZIP in the utilities section, which was apparently not allowed by PKWare.

However there's a free open source equivalent called Info-ZIP which supports both packing and unpacking ZIP archives (which is the most common format anyway). DOS binaries for Zip and UnZip (separate packages) can be found at the official FTP: Also at this page there's a Zip v3.00 for DOS, but not sure if this is an official binary.

As for the file managers, currently you only have Volkov Commander on file. While I respect this programme, it's shareware, and the author apparently no longer accepts registration, so its legal use is limited to the trial period. There are however several free (and in some cases open source) alternatives which do not have any limitations:

Dos Navigator
License: Freeware (formerly shareware) [open source]
Home page: Dos Navigator
Latest version: 1.51

NOTE: Dos Navigator has a built-in archive viewer which supports common archive types, and can pack/unpack archives if external programmes are present. Also has a built in Tetris clone.

DOS Navigator Open Source Project
License: Freeware [open source]
Home page: DOS Navigator Open Source Project
Latest version (DOS): 6.4.0

NOTE: After the open source release of the original Dos Navigator, there have been several forks with various improvements over the original (new archive format support, large file sizes etc.).

Doszip Commander
License: Freeware [open source]
Home page: The Doszip Commander
Latest version: 3.36
Older versions can be found here.

NOTE: This is a modern DOS file manager with integrated ZIP pack and unpack support. This might be one of the better solutions for the basic DOS gaming needs.

UFO (Universal File Operator)
License: Freeware (formerly commercial)
Home page: DEMcom: Why UFO 96?
Freeware release announcement: DEMCOM: UFO 96 is now freeware
Latest version: 96.4 [download: ufo964e.exe]

NOTE: Supports long file names and other features of Windows 95 integration. Can view the contents of archive files (ZIP, ARJ, RAR, LHA) and display FILE_ID.DIZ files contents. Can pack/unpack archives if external programmes are present.

Archive Lister
License: Freeware
Homepage: SotSoft, Archive Lister
Latest version: 2.76

NOTE: As the name suggests, this file manager is focussed on working with archives, but also has an FTP client, long file name and large size support etc.

HFM
License: Freeware (formerly shareware)
Homepage: HFM file manager
Latest version: 4.04 [download: hfm404nl.zip]

NOTE: The H probably stands for Heidelberg, as the home page was hosted by the server of Heidelberg University.

Genesis Commander
License: Freeware
Homepage: Homepage of Genesis Collata Software
Latest version: 2.0
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: DOS utilities suggestions

Post by DOSGuy »

A lot of options there. I don't intend to have an exhaustive collection of utilities, so the question is, is there a need to replace the equivalent utilities that are on the site now?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: DOS utilities suggestions

Post by MrFlibble »

DOSGuy wrote:is there a need to replace the equivalent utilities that are on the site now?
Both the archiver utility and the file manager currently on site are shareware, with a trial period of about a month. I'm not sure if Eugene Roschal still accepts registration for the DOS version of RAR, but Volkov Commander is apparently discontinued and can no longer be registered.

Sure, both utils come with no hard time limit or removed features, and can theoretically be used indefinitely. However it is my contention that true freeware is preferable both for the site as software provider, and the end user.

I would suggest at least adding Info-Zip alongside RAR (especially since there are no RAR archives on site at all IIRC), and adding RIT Labs' Dos Navigator alongside Volkov Commander or as a replacement.

[Edit] On a second though, I've just checked The Doszip Commander, and its functionality, combining both a file manager and a ZIP compression/decompression utility (ZIP archives are treated as folders), probably makes it the most suitable, and, quite importantly, freeware solution.