Favorite games and people

Discuss classic PC games
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Favorite games and people

Post by DOSGuy »

I make no secret of which games I really like when I write reviews, but I wanted to make a list of some of my all-time favorite DOS games, and the people in the industry who I think deserve special recognition. I ended up with 12 in each category, but there are definitely more. Please add your own lists.

Favorite games:

Astrofire
Chopper Commando
Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom
Jetpack
Hocus Pocus
Lure of the Temptress
Mah Jongg -V-G-A-
Major Stryker
Monuments of Mars
Moraff's Revenge
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
SkyRoads

Special people:

Ron Balewski - for Mah Jongg -V-G-A-
George Broussard - for Pharaoh's Tomb and Apogee Software
John Carmack - for id Software
Mark Currie - for Chopper Commando
Paul T. Dawson - for the Googol math games
Scott Miller - for Kroz and Apogee Software
Steve Moraff - for MoraffWare
Scott Pedersen - for Jetpack and God of Thunder
Todd Replogle - for Monuments of Mars and Duke Nukem
John Romero - for Dangerous Dave and id Software
Ken Silverman - for the BUILD engine
Tim Sweeney - for Epic MegaGames

Incidentally, I've had the pleasure of speaking with Ron Balewski, Mark Currie, Mark Rein and Tim Sweeney, who were all very helpful to the site.
Last edited by DOSGuy on November 14th, 2005, 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
terramax
Less than a nibble

Post by terramax »

Do these have to be dos games? It's only been about 2 years since I've started playing PC games meaning that there aren't that many dos games I have played (although I'm always buying old adventure games that run on dos).
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm not picky. I'd say list whatever you want, but maybe point out which games are DOS and which ones aren't so we don't have people trying to locate a DOS version of Doom 3.
Grimspy
Less than a nibble

Post by Grimspy »

Can`t remember the names on all the dos games I have played, but have written down some of my favourites:
Whacky wheels
commander keen
secret agent
crystal caves
skyroads
and some game shooting lamas, I believe it was called Lhama or something.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Hey, not bad. Everything but the llama one is on the site. :)
Grimspy
Less than a nibble

Post by Grimspy »

Oh I remember now, Llamatron was the name.
A very time consuming game.
TimeGhost
Less than a nibble

Favorite DOS games

Post by TimeGhost »

I started gaming under DOS, so many of my favorite games are DOS-based:
Shadow Warrior (and the add-on Wanton Destruction, whi I'm currently playing)
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Pharoah's Tomb
Wolfenstein 3D (I used to spend hours at this!)
DOOM (likewise)

That's all that come to mind right now. I still play most of these every now and then.
Hmm, reading this, I notice that most are from Apogee/3DRealms.
Are we there yet?
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I used to play a lot of Wolfenstein, too. The problem is that all the hallways look the same, so I used to get lost a lot. I would navigate by looking for the trail of corpses so I could tell where I had been.
Mr_Smiley
Less than a nibble

Post by Mr_Smiley »

I have many favourite DOS games. Some that I can think of at the moment include:
  • DOOM
    Commander Keen
    Skyroads
    Prince of Persia
    Street Rod 1 & 2
    Leisure Suit Larry
    and many more..
Frank
Less than a nibble

Post by Frank »

I got here from the link in DOSGuy's post to me on the Scummvm forum. (5 1/4" Floppies)

I've looked for years for old games, and until I came across the scummvm project I didn't have much luck finding anything.

I'm not sure what differentiates a DOS game from a Windows game, but have played dozens of games from the 80's up to new ones. I cut my game teeth on old Sierra games, and Lucas Arts.

Here are a few I either have played or am playing:

Space Quest - all
Kings Quest - all plus the redo's by Tierra.
Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Freddy Pharkus - talking version downloaded from Chechislovakia
Peppers Adventures
Eye of the Kraken

and lots of others. I'm not sure what format they are all considered to be in, DOS or Windows. I expecially enjoy the real "Adventure" games that don't have to sink to violence in order to sell. Sorry to see that the game producers have seemingly all but given up on all but the fighting game teenagers. (That ought to get to somebody)

Here's a link to "Game Timeline" that I came across. It is useful in figuring out when games came out and what genre and o/s they are. It goes from 1984 to 2004.

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppe ... s/1984.htm
evktalo
Less than a nibble

Post by evktalo »

Astrofire! That's a great game. I played the demo version a lot back in the day. I understand ORT Software still sells it - I'd buy it if I had a credit card.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Not only does ORT still sell it, the owner recently did an interview for the site! It's in the Interviews section if you're interested. He seemed like a very nice guy. I bet he would appreciate it if you sent him some fan mail, with or without paid registration. Astrogeddon (though not a DOS game) is even better. The graphics are awesome and the gameplay is much improved. Definitely check it out if you like AstroFire.
evktalo
Less than a nibble

Post by evktalo »

Wow, I didn't realise you had done more interviews after John Passfield. Great work!

--Eino
SpellSword
4-bit nibble

Some of my favs

Post by SpellSword »

Greetings! Excellent site. I've been a dedicated gamer ever since I started playing off my old Apple IIGS (Bolo, Thexder, Montezuma's Revenge. Good times...) my collection of games now borders on 1000 titles. :)

Many of my all time favorite games date back to the days when the 486 was king and SVGA kicked ass, here are a few titles I found memorable.

- One Must Fall 2097: I played the shareware into the ground then bought a copy long before it went freeware. :) (Fav Robots: Jaguar, Electra, Chronos, Gargoyle.)

- Highway Hunter (Shareware): Nice change from scrolling plane shooters.

- Scorched Earth (Shareware): I played this one for hours. Human vs human combat opens up so many possibilities.

- Traffic Department 2192 (Shareware): This game is still one of my favorite games today!

- Thexder: This game consumed countless hours of my life. :)

- Silpheed: Scrolling shooter with 3d-object sprites. Cutting edge graphics for its time.

- Zone 66: I own missions 1-2 & 3-4. (So many ships!)

- Wacky Wheels (Shareware): Spent hours with this one. (Note: It is possible to play the track shown in the demo-movie in the shareware game... but I forget how.)

- Line Wars 2 (Shareware): Simplistic first person space flight combat, the music was amazing. (Note: It is possible to play the pirate base assault level in the demo-movie. Teleport (F3) while watching it to take control of the game.)

- Chopper Commando: “You Have crossed into another dimension. The Mark Currie Zone.” One of my all time favorite games!

- The Dig: This game was simply amazing...

- Terminal Velocity: Great game, love flying the tunnels well using after burner. (Not as fast as the name would suggest though.)

- Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss: The first RPG I ever played, excellent!

- Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds: Story is a little bit deeper in this one, much more involved in the Ultima universe than its predecessor.

- Black Stone: Aliens of Gold (Shareware): First FPS I ever played, still one of my favorites.

- Master of Orion: An excellent turn based strategy game, played this one over and over again. :)

I've played so many Dos games that I've enjoyed,
I could easily list a hundred more but I'll leave it at that.
When I dream,
I carry a sword in one hand,
a gun in the other...
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I've decided to keep this thread for discussion of favorite games and have moved some posts from people searching for old favorites to its own thread. If you're looking for a post that used to be here, try Help finding games.