The MobyGames crisis

Discuss just about anything else
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

The MobyGames crisis

Post by MrFlibble »

Since no one else has yet posted any info on this here, I'd like to draw the attention to the ongoing crisis at MobyGames, one of the largest, oldest and most popular video game databases currently in existence.

Some of you may have already noticed that since last week, the site was updated with a new design. This was a corporate decision imposed by the company that currently owns MobyGames, GameFly Media. Many users have already expressed a negative opinion about the new look of the website, which was supposedly optimized for viewing on tablet devices, saying that it now looks bland and generic. However, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

In reality, the redesign has resulted in broken functionality of many of the site's key features. The new interface is far from user-friendly, the layout forces the users to do a lot of unnecessary scrolling (whereas previously all crucial information and options were available on a single screen), and the overall site performance had also decreased drastically with a huge reduction in loading speed of almost all pages.

MobyGames had always been a community-driven website, with both the contributors and the approvers being volunteers, many of whom have spent years of work to expand and improve the game database. The redesign that effectively crippled MobyGames' functionality was imposed on the community without their consent or knowledge. According to the core members/staff of MobyGames, GameFly was kind enough to provide a preview of the new design some time ago, but community feedback on its state was ignored, and the new design got implemented without any significant changes.

This has put off the majority of the core members, who are now expressing their wish to leave the site for good, in spite of all the efforts they had put into its development over the years. Their pleas to fix the most glaring deficiencies have remained unattended by the people in charge, who seem to have adopted the strategy of keeping the community in an information vacuum.

The protesting members are calling to revert to the pre-redesign state, however prospects of this happening are rather dim to say the least.

Currently all work on updating the site has ceased, as the members see no reason in continuing their efforts in this time of uncertainty. Quite possibly, many are appalled with this treatment from GameFly managers to such a degree that they will leave the website for good. This, in turn, means that either MobyGames will no longer be updated at all, or the staff will be replaced with people hired by GameFly to promote the company's interests. GameFly is a game renting service, so it would make sense for them to update the database with only those games that they have on offer, thus destroying the independent research potential of the website.

While there is little indication that the situation will improve in favour of the community, drawing the attention of the general public to the issue might help a bit.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: The MobyGames crisis

Post by DOSGuy »

Thanks for posting, I didn't know about this. I had the MobyGames model in mind when I started working on an interface to allow a publication team to add games to the site.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

I didn't know about this either. I wonder whether anyone will try to scrape the site and set up their own? Guess that depends on the copyrights.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

There's already work on a project called Oregami.org - to the best of my knowledge, it was started by discontented former MG community members who left around 2010, when the site was sold to GameFly and tensions were already mounting between the owners/administration and the rest of the community.

Oregami is still work-in-progress but the goals the team has set seem very attractive. Hopefully something good will come out of this endeavour.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

A user at MobyGames forums pointed out that the Wayback Machine copy of the website is fully functional and the Game Browser works as it should (which is something I completely missed).
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I've just been checking the MG forums and stumbled upon a message from one of the few remaining approvers:
Truthfully, this has been always a problem here on Moby, and this was the main reason I and Fred join the approval team. And when we were close to clean up most of the queues Redesign happened and the most of (about 20) the approvers left the site. As for today there is only me and two other "casual" (one time a week or so) approvers (plus one admin dealing with corrections mostly). The three of us have only access to a few selected platforms (6 on my side + eventually 3 just requested), so there might be several (dozens?) platforms without Approver. Can't tell for sure, only admin knows that, but as the PM's are broken, we can't ask him about this. Anyway our platforms are close to be clean, but if some of the old approvers won't be back or some new faces won't join an approval team, he queues will remain untouched. [source]
This message alone gives a picture of almost total devastation that the redesign caused.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm reminded of a line by William Butler Yeats: "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold".
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Post by Hallfiry »

Magazine cover disk catalog:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Wow, this is, like, ueber awesome ^_^ :lol:
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Wow! I thought stuff like that only happened in the movies! What a weird, unexpected ending.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Heh, right :) Well, let's hope it becomes a new beginning for MobyGames.

Th entire story also raised other important issues as well (apart from "Don't let a shady corporation with no clear goals buy out your website" that is). As someone noted in the MG forums, if something like that happened to IMDB for example, public outcry would certainly be a lot greater. This indicates that video games are still more or less of a marginal area when compared to more "traditional" types of entertainment.