No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 4

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Zone 66

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Re: Zone 66

Post by Malvineous »

Has anyone ever finished this game? I found a music track I've never heard before and I'm wondering whether anyone knows what it's used for.

To hear it, rename zim01.z66 to m01gmuz.z66 (overwriting the existing file) then launch Zone 66 and you'll hear it as the intro/menu song. (You may have to run "zone66/s" in DOSBox to make sure you get the Sound Blaster track and not the GUS one.)

Does anyone recognise it? It sounds suitable for music used when you win the game, so I'm wondering whether that's what it's for.
lemm
4-bit nibble

Post by lemm »

I finished it once, I can't remember if there was a victory song.
All I remember is that you get a page of text for your efforts.
NetKeen: Multiplayer Commander Keen!
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

In speaking of music, did anyone ever successfully decode the music format? It's a strange hybrid FM/PCM tracker similar to S3M I think. Sadly the game only plays it back in 22khz 8bit mono and OPL2 at best (and GUS is a completely different score)
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

The music is in CDFM format and is used in a couple of demos by the same developers. It is a custom format they designed themselves and I'm not aware of any specs for the format. Nobody has had any luck contacting anyone involved in Zone 66 to see if they are willing to share details.

The format is similar to S3M and it has both sampled and OPL instruments. I recorded the intro song, muted the OPL, resampled the PCM to 48kHz and added the OPL back in again and it sounds a lot crisper. I recorded the rest of the tracks (including GUS) in .ogg format and submitted them to The Videogame Music Preservation Foundation but they haven't been added to the site yet.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

Just to follow up on this, I have now (as good as) fully reverse engineered the music file format used by Zone 66. I have implemented support for it in Camoto (and I will be publishing this code soon but it's not available just yet) so I have converted all the Zone 66 tracks to S3M format in case anyone is interested: zone66-music-s3m.zip

I also ripped and converted all the songs from the Amnesia demo by the same group, as they are the only other files I know of that are in the same format: amnesia-music-s3m.zip
rainwarrior
4-bit nibble

Post by rainwarrior »

At the time I first saw it, the intro really blew me away. Not sure it really stands up, though.

Never really got that far in the actual game.