Level editor for any puzzle game

Discuss game modding
robert
5-bit member

Level editor for any puzzle game

Post by robert »

Hi everyone, I have a puzzle game like Puzznic, it's called 4-get-it, and I was wondering if there is a program to edit the levels (level editor). This is an old game and non-popular, probably I'm the only one here who knows it :lol: , but the thing is if there is a program which allows you to edit levels from any game. I read about Camoto, but it's not finnished yet as I saw.

Thanks
yellowantphil
4-bit nibble

Re: Level editor for any puzzle game

Post by yellowantphil »

Is this game still available somewhere (maybe a shareware version)? Do you know anything about the file formats it uses, or could you figure it out? Malvineous might be willing to add the game to Camoto. It would help if you posted anything you know about the game file formats to his ModdingWiki.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

Certainly getting the file formats documented is the first step to getting a working editor. From the screenshots in your other thread it looks like it might be an easy one. If there's a download somewhere then some of us can take a look at it and see how tricky it might be.
robert
5-bit member

Post by robert »

Actually, the data is compressed in an .exe file, and the game has 4 .exe files, except olny one works. Right now, I can't post the game because the administrator says that game was comercial software, and he has to contcat the game's creators. I don't know if I can send you copy by a PM, I worry I can break a rule. First I need to be sure if I can send game copies to other people.
yellowantphil wrote:Is this game still available somewhere (maybe a shareware version)? Do you know anything about the file formats it uses, or could you figure it out? Malvineous might be willing to add the game to Camoto. It would help if you posted anything you know about the game file formats to his ModdingWiki.

I just know that the game cannot be found in any website, because I've already searched it and never found it. I think it was just comercial software, like DOSGuy told me. The game has 4 exe files, one .nfo file, and one .his, which I think it is the "hall of fame" of the game, or maybe it appears when I enter the game for the first time.
Last edited by robert on March 4th, 2012, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

There's a possibility that I may be able to get the source code for 4-Get-It. I can't guarantee that he still has it, but I'm told that if anyone does, he does.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

Wow, that'd be great. The more code we can get for these games, the better!
robert
5-bit member

Post by robert »

That's great!, I have a silly question: what is a source code?
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Source code is the language that the game is written in. With that, we could figure out how the levels work, and do absolutely anything that we want with the game. I haven't gotten a response from Brian McGroarty yet, but one of the people who worked with him said that if anyone has it, he does. Of course, it's been 20 years, so there's a good chance that he doesn't. All we can do is hope.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
robert
5-bit member

Post by robert »

Great! I always wanted a level editor for this game, I hope you can get it.

Talking about source code, is there a way to get the source code for the game Aquanoid? :D This is another nice game I would like to edit the levels. I think if there is a possibility to get it for 4-get-it, it will be much easier for Aquanoid.

BTW, is really amazing that you could contact one of the authors of this old game! I congratulate you!
robert
5-bit member

Post by robert »

Maybe it's kind of late, but I'm still interested in the source code of 4-get-it, maybe there are some secret passwords for more levels, like the Amiga version. Could you DOSGuy try to contact the guy you mentioned before again, please?
If it helps, I found a webpage where the original game can be downloaded. It's http://www.old-games.ru/game/4536.html, here is a video of the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNNf4aLORg.
robert
5-bit member

Post by robert »

DOSGuy wrote:Source code is the language that the game is written in. With that, we could figure out how the levels work, and do absolutely anything that we want with the game. I haven't gotten a response from Brian McGroarty yet, but one of the people who worked with him said that if anyone has it, he does. Of course, it's been 20 years, so there's a good chance that he doesn't. All we can do is hope.

Hi! After 2 years, I think we totally forgot about this. The idea of a level editor is super dismissed :(