No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 6

MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Tyrian 2000

Post by MrFlibble »

Regarding the updated demo, I was wondering, if it was released almost a year after the initial demo (and, supposedly, the CD release of the full game), has there ever been any full CD version with the World Tree Games logo (and, possibly, the correct English interface)? Or is this another case when a demo version is more recent compared to the full/registered version?
Litude
File Contributor

Post by Litude »

I don't think there were any reprints made of Tyrian 2000. XSIV Games wasn't a very successful publisher either so they probably didn't even have the capability to do so.

I'm surprised that no patch was ever released for the retail game to bring it up to that version. Though the Sound Blaster Live patch does work properly in DOSBox.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

BTW, I've noticed that the CD version 1.0 lacks one file, NEWSHQ.SHP, and because of this the ship editor does not work properly (ship graphics are not being displayed and can't be edited). Curiously, both the demo v1.0 and Jason Emery's v3.0 do have this file.

Also the demo v1.0 and full v3.0 have a single Windows icon file called TyrianIcon.ico. The CD version and the updated demo both have several Windows icon files called Tyricon.ico, Tyricn2.ico and Tyricn4.ico, none of which are identical to TyrianIcon.ico.

I kind of suspect that the executable for the incomplete updated 2000 demo was taken from the full game, as it features the same set of icons and does not have the Ordering Information option (but it could also have been removed in order to not obscure the copyright information on the title screen).
Litude
File Contributor

Post by Litude »

Actually the .EXE files for the retail version and the demo version are identical, the game decides whether to be in demo or full mode solely based on the game files present. Tyrian.hdt seems to be the file which dictates which options are present in the main menu. You'll also notice if you apply the first patch (t2kpatch01) the ordering info option also disappears from the menu.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus!

I've never played the game, but I did watch one of the producers of one of these games have his son showing off how far he got. I actually watched it until the very end spritingly hehe. I thought the game is well done. The scrolling is smooth and the ships moved smoothly without much flickering that I could tell. Being a novice developer I am personally impress with the professional design; at least in my eyes what I can see.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

developertn wrote:I've never played the game
You should definitely try it out sometime. It's a lot of fun, has beautiful graphics and music, and a great replay value (different game modes, skill settings, secrets etc.).

The free full version can be legally downloaded here (the official World Tree Games website is down sadly).
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus!

I played it and what I was looking for is a speed test. I set it at 3000 cycles and found it slow.

However the amount of graphics made me understand why.

I believe it was well done.

I would keep it because it seems like a quality production.

Thanks for the recommendation.

That leaves over 500+ games to try yet for DOS hehe :lol:
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

developertn wrote:I played it and what I was looking for is a speed test. I set it at 3000 cycles and found it slow.
That is very certainly low for Tyrian. However you have a fast modern computer so you can set DOSBox to something around 30,000-50,000 cycles. That should do fine for running the game at normal speed with high detail settings. In fact, you can set cycles to max but I'm unsure if this may result in the game running too fast or not.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Thanks - we'll do! :D
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Well, I just tried max which is maybe 500mhz on my system. Unfortunately it was fast enough however I like the slow version at 3000 cycles better haha Being middle age I'm no longer able to be fluent in my controls like others. It could just be me being an old timer developer hehe

Thank you for the advice and keep up the feedbacks. I appreciate it.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

developertn wrote:Unfortunately it was fast enough however I like the slow version at 3000 cycles better haha Being middle age I'm no longer able to be fluent in my controls like others.
You can adjust game speed in the game menu. Just start playing a level and hit Esc, there's a game speed option:

I think it's more efficient to use the internal game speed settings rather than to have to adjust DOSBox cycles.

Also in the game setup, you can select the secret "Wild" detail mode which should load your DOSBox resources to the max. Highlight the Game Detail option and press W:

Another tip for playing is to use the mouse. I like the keyboard for a more "retro" feel but the mouse allows for much greater precision in controlling your ship.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus!hehe

Well, all the producers deserve credits for trying to entertain us the best they could.

Everyone gets a 12 point out of 10 total for trying!

Thank you God for making all of us possible especially my two real parents#!!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Here are Wayback Machine links to the official Tyrian 2000 publisher's pages, with (almost) all art & screenshots preserved:
http://www.xsivgames.com/xsivgames/t2k/t2kmain.html
http://www.symmetry-entertainment.com/x ... 2kpix.html
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

It appears that there have been several mirrors of Eclipse/World Tree Games websites. Here's one with most of the graphics preserved:
http://web.archive.org/web/200502212312 ... tyrian.htm