Need Help! Paying Gig!

Introduce yourself!
Dark_Sun_DM
Less than a nibble

Need Help! Paying Gig!

Post by Dark_Sun_DM »

Hey,

I'm a Dungeons and Dragons DM and I am running a campaign based on the DOS game Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. I need all the level maps in a high res png/jpg file format (there are 33 area maps). I have zero knowledge about this kinda stuff so I am hoping some kind soul can help me convert sprite data (not sure if that's correct) to a more modern file format. I have seen others do it so I know it's possible. Please help me Obi Wan. You're my only hope!

I am willing to discuss compensation but I know it's worth at least $100. I have the game files via a 1997 cd-rom and through GOG.

I hope I am not breaking any forum rules for my first post! My sincere apologies if I am.

DM
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Need Help! Paying Gig!

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello, welcome to the forums.
Dark_Sun_DM wrote: August 24th, 2021, 7:09 pm I have zero knowledge about this kinda stuff so I am hoping some kind soul can help me convert sprite data (not sure if that's correct) to a more modern file format.
I did not understand from your post if you want map data only, or the graphics like character sprites and terrain tiles, animations etc., or both?

A bit of Googling brought up this project:
https://github.com/JohnGlassmyer/dsun_music

According to the description, it can
extract music, images, and other data from the video game Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and its sequels, Dark Sun 2: Wake of the Ravager and Dark Sun Online: Crimson Sands.
  • gff-tool extracts or replaces the contents of Dark Sun's resource (.GFF) files.
  • xmi-tool describes and modifies the music sequences (PSEQ, LSEQ, GSEQ).
  • image-tool exports (still and animated) bitmap images as TIFFs.
  • region-tool generates TIFF images displaying the terrain and objects within each of the game's regions.
Sounds like what you're looking for. Requires Java and some other stuff, you should be able to run it.
Dark_Sun_DM
Less than a nibble

Post by Dark_Sun_DM »

Thank you MrFlibble! This sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. So, essentially I only need the images of the the game maps. I attached an example. I don't need any animations or music or even the data that controls where the characters can move on a map. Literally just the main map image.

Do you think that this github code might be able to do that? This sounds promising: "region-tool generates TIFF images displaying the terrain and objects within each of the game's regions."

Second question: I have no programming knowledge. Java is Greek to me. Do you think someone on this forum (or elsewhere) might be able to do this (paid gig) or at least help me get started?

Once again, thank you MrFlibble! Your help is most appreciated!

DM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dark_Sun_DM on August 25th, 2021, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Dark_Sun_DM wrote: August 25th, 2021, 9:49 am Second question: I have no programming knowledge. Java is Greek to me. Do you think someone on this forum (or elsewhere) might be able to do this (paid gig) or at least help me get started?
You don't need to program anything yourself. You'll need to compile the JAR files from the code, as per the instructions on that page:
Have a JDK and Apache Maven installed, check out the code, and run mvn package in that directory. This will produce four JAR files:

./gff-tool/target/gff-tool.jar
./image-tool/target/image-tool.jar
./region-tool/target/region-tool.jar
./xmi-tool/target/xmi-tool.jar
You can run any of these with java -jar <JAR_FILE> --help for further instructions.
JDK is Java devkit, I guess you get it from the Java web site. The converters will be command-line based tools as far as I can tell.

If you think you can't handle it -- although it doesn't sound like more than typing a few console commands after you install the compilator -- I suppose your best bet would be to find a Dark Sun/D&D forum, maybe the fans there would be able to help.
Dark_Sun_DM
Less than a nibble

Post by Dark_Sun_DM »

I can definitely give it a shot. Who knows? Maybe I can can figure it out. I really appreciate all your help!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

You can always try to reach out to the converter's author via GitHub, just post an issue if it does not compile or you need other help. I'm sure they'll be glad to know the tools are useful to someone.