You are likely to be eaten by a grue. IBM XT Fan

Introduce yourself!
FreddyFactors
Less than a nibble

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. IBM XT Fan

Post by FreddyFactors »

Hi All, grew up with an IBM XT at home and played many of the older monochrome games from yesteryear, but had a good dose of Win 3.1 and eventually 95/98 games as I grew up.

I'm wondering if anybody has had a chance to dig through this treasure trove yet: http://www.vintagefreeware.com/

There are a ton of old compiled / basica games that used to be distributed with IBM computers for Dos 1.x.

For those who used to tinker, I wonder if names like Skeet, Wallbang, and Pitfall mean anything?

I see you've got Kingdom of Kroz 2 listed. Strange how much of my childhood was influenced by Scott Miller- from Kroz all the way through the Duke Nukem series. You could play Kroz on monochrome MDA screens.

Pacmania, Windows 1.0 and Fontasy were fun to play with, but we didn't have a monitor capable so we connected our CGA adapter to our television. Not a lot of colors though, I believe we got 4 colors to choose from at the time.

I have a ton of the old dos games from IBM 1.0 days if anybody's interested. The work with DOSBOX but require BASICA interpreter to run. Not hard to do.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: You are likely to be eaten by a grue. IBM XT Fan

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

I took a look at the site you linked to but I don't see any information as to where these games originally came from? Published on magazine cover floppies? Downloaded from BBSs?
peterswinkels
Less than a nibble

Re: You are likely to be eaten by a grue. IBM XT Fan

Post by peterswinkels »

Haha, PacMania, I played that too on a monochrome screen. That and a lot of other stuff.