No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 6

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Re: Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

Somewhat interesting distraction from the creator of Duke Nukem. This game does not hold a candle to the mighty Duke though.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Cosmo is one of the first Apogee games I ever played. When I bought my 486, the computer store put Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure and Wolfenstein 3D on it for me. Cosmo's ability to stick to walls added a new gameplay element to the traditional platformer, and there were a lot of hidden bonuses to reward exploration. Pretty good boss fights, too. I'll always have fond memories of this game.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

DOSGuy wrote:... Cosmo's ability to stick to walls added a new gameplay element to the traditional platformer...
I think there was a game called Zool for the Amiga as well as DOS that had this feature before Cosmo. Not too sure though.

I didn't give it much attention, really. Also, it's been quite a while since I last booted it up. I might just go play some Cosmo on my (yes, I still own one) 486 today, to see if my opinion changes.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

If it does, you can always change your vote!
Calvero
5-bit member

Post by Calvero »

According to 3D Realms' Detailed Release Timeline Cosmo was released in March 1992 and according to release information of Zool on MobyGames Zool was released in October 1992.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

^ Ah. Well, my bad.

I didn't have much time to devote to playing Cosmo today, but I did install the shareware episode on my DOS computer.
Chinese checkers. Mashed potatoes! And a tyrannosaurus rex!
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

1990's Red Ariimaa for the Game Boy by CAPCOM also had the wall sticking feature, plus a 'flying' feature which only lasts for a limited time. This game had two sequels for the NES and SNES in 1992 and 1994.

Not shareware, but just felt like mentioning that. I think Batman for NES had wall sticking in 1989 but not sure either since I haven't played that in so long.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Played it for a while yesterday, ordered the registered floppy disks from the Apogee webstore for the heck of it (10 dollars is a pretty good price). Not a bad game by any means, but my opinion that it doesn't hold a candle to Duke hasn't changed. Maybe it's because I spent a lot of time playing Duke Nukem (the original 3 episode game) when I was young and knew every nook and cranny of the game from the top of my head.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Haven't had a chance to mess around with it until today, when I discovered this:

Other than the one corrupted file it installs fine but when I play COSMO1 (the first episode) it gives me this stuff every now and then:

Bummer. That's what you get when you order old games on floppy disks. I remember Joe Siegler once saying that there might be some bad disks among their stock but since they don't use floppy drives anymore at the 3DR office, they can't check to see which ones are faulty. It's not such a big deal, since only episode one seems to be affected (which is shareware anyway), but I've asked for a replacement anyway.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

That looks like ZZT on acid.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Heh, yeah, it kinda does.
kilodude
Classic Game Author

Post by kilodude »

I gave it a 7 and would have given it an 8 if it wasn't for that incredibly annoying music. That music still haunts me to this day. :?
-Allen, Game Designer/Programmer of "Kiloblaster" and "Xargon." Game Design for "Super ZZTs: Monster Zoo" and bonus levels of "Snarf."
Jeffpiatt
Less than a nibble

Post by Jeffpiatt »

i would have to agree it does have some creepy music the game still can make you jump with some of the hidden enemies.
VortiX
4-bit nibble

Post by VortiX »

I gave it a 7 and would have given it an 8 if it wasn't for that incredibly annoying music. That music still haunts me to this day. :?
i would have to agree it does have some creepy music the game still can make you jump with some of the hidden enemies.
Cosmo music annoying and creepy? To me Cosmo has one of the best DOS game music from my favorite game composer Bobby Prince. It's epic and nostalgic which makes me glad. Gave 10p for this game of my childhood.