Monster Bash v2.1 Upside Down Feet and Camoto / Wombat / ScubaView

Discuss game modding
Frenkel
5-bit member

Monster Bash v2.1 Upside Down Feet and Camoto / Wombat / ScubaView

Post by Frenkel »

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Monster Bash, Joe Siegler has posted an entry on his blog. One section is about upside down feet:
UPSIDE DOWN FEET

Monster Bash was pretty well received, but with every game we released, we would get the odd complaint or two. Most of them were the kinds of things you would come to expect, but every once in awhile we’d get one that would stick out. Monster Bash got one of those kind of complaints.

Since a lot of the game took place underground, you would see things that would be “under ground” especially when several game locations took place in graveyards. Given it was a 2D scroller, we would have objects under the ground. One of them were feet. If you look at the screenshot here, you’ll see an example of a pair of “feet”.

We got a complaint that the pair of feet to the right were “inappropriate” for a kids game, because they seemingly depicted two set of feet connected to people that were, well.. you figure it out.

Anyway, in an odd response from the same company that put out Duke Nukem 3D, we took that out. The exact version that had the “feet” removed is lost to time. The final version of the game was v2.1, and this was at least two versions before that (Monster Bash had several point releases).
I've uploaded a video of the feet in v2.0 on YouTube.

When I play v2.1 and v2.1 Lite, I don't see the feet. But when I use Camoto, Wombat and ScubaView I see the feet in v2.1, but not in the Lite version. How is that possible?
(I had to edit monster-bash.xml to make Camoto open the Lite version. (I didn't change line 6; that still is a link to Halloween Harry ;)))

I've checked the shareware version of v2.1, not the commercial version, but the data file is same anyway.
K1n9_Duk3
4-bit nibble

Re: Monster Bash v2.1 Upside Down Feet and Camoto / Wombat / ScubaView

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Frenkel wrote: May 13th, 2018, 3:31 pmWhen I play v2.1 and v2.1 Lite, I don't see the feet. But when I use Camoto, Wombat and ScubaView I see the feet in v2.1, but not in the Lite version. How is that possible?
It's possible that the game was hard-coded to replace/remove the feet tiles on certain levels. Given that the effects of the switches seem to be hard-coded (at least I haven't found anything related to that in the DAT file) it wouldn't surprise me if this was hard-coded as well.
Frenkel
5-bit member

Re: Monster Bash v2.1 Upside Down Feet and Camoto / Wombat / ScubaView

Post by Frenkel »

Hard-coded? Sounds reasonable.