Sammod Difficulties

Discuss game modding
B# Major General
Less than a nibble

Sammod Difficulties

Post by B# Major General »

I recently downloaded the sammod program from the Modding Wiki (http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/Secret_Agent). It successfully converted the .gfx file into a .bmp. However, when I changed it back after altering it, it showed up entirely as black squares.

I did an attempt with a paint application on my native OS (Mac OS X) and with the Paint application within DOSBox. Both times it failed.

One time when I booted up, the game had what appeared to be corrupted graphics. I restarted the game a few times and it gave a couple different versions of a garbled mess.

I noticed that when I converted from .gfx to .bmp, the application showed the different images on screen. However, that didn't happen with the .bmp to .gfx process.

As an experiment, I converted from .gfx to .bmp and back again, and I think the images showed up then. I can't remember if that was right before the corrupted graphics appeared or not.

It'd be fun to make the game custom to myself, maybe even make a level pack someday. Can anybody help me?
Frenkel
5-bit member

Re: Sammod Difficulties

Post by Frenkel »

As the creator of Sammod I have one question:
Isn't Camoto better in every way than Sammod?

Anyway, is the size of your .bmp-file the same as the size the file that Sammod creates?
B# Major General
Less than a nibble

Re: Sammod Difficulties

Post by B# Major General »

Frenkel wrote: July 29th, 2017, 5:06 pm As the creator of Sammod I have one question:
Isn't Camoto better in every way than Sammod?
Possibly, but I don't have a convenient way to run the Windows version, and I lack the skills to get the Linux source file stuff working on my Mac.

I hadn't thought to check the file size. I didn't add anything new, just altered the colors, but I'll be sure to check that next time I try it out. I just wanted to make a few graphical changes before deciding if I wanted to get further involved and try out Camoto.