No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 7

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Quake

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
she's long gone
Less than a nibble

Post by she's long gone »

It's funny how vastly different Quake was when it arrived compared to a lot of what had been said about it on the internet, usually by id itself... it was going to RPG-like, you would wander a whole environment that would react to you in intelligent and interesting ways... then it arrived as a dingy-looking, technology-focused Doom clone. It was kinda fun, but it was also the game that epitomized a generation of story-free shooters. Disappointing.
strtj
4-bit nibble

Post by strtj »

I think you sell Quake short. The trend towards story-free FPS games started at day one. Sure, Wolf had a story, but it was really just a shooter. Doom had a vague story too, though I'm not sure I could accurately remember it if I had to. Hexen was the only "RPG-like" FPS game I can think of right now, though there may have been others. Shadowcaster maybe? I dunno, I never played that one.

Besides, Quake was a BIG leap forward for fps technology. Nothing else was as big, smooth, and devoid of 90 degree angles. I do agree that it was too dingy, though - the entire game was pretty much various shades of brown.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

i like my games without boring story fluff

too many new games these days must make me sit at least 40 minutes before being able to shoot something!!!
strtj
4-bit nibble

Post by strtj »

I couldn't agree more. If I want to play something with an involved story, I'll just play a real RPG! I play FPS games because I just want to sit down and shoot something. I pretty much refused to play Half-Life because it made you sit through something like 10-15 minutes of non-interactive story before you could do anything.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Re: Quake

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

It's a great game. Where it really shined though, was multiplayer. Quake opened the doors for a wider audience by putting in internet multiplayer which didn't require you to sign up for anything (remember Doom's DWANGO? It was awful). The CD audio/in-game soundtrack really added to the game's atmosphere. The single player episodes were well designed and the levels looked gorgeous. So the basic gameplay was ripped off straight from Doom. So what? Doom had great gameplay and I think it worked for Quake just fine.

Overall, it was just what I expected. Nice visuals, great gameplay and awesome multiplayer capabilities. And I'm not even mentioning the engine, which was leaps ahead of anything else.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Re: Quake - God, I found a game I really like!

Post by developertn »

Well, you all know I am a bit narcissistic. hehe Anyways, I actually found something that is outside of my programming habits. I was working on putting MS-DOS 6.22 on my MacBook Pro 2009 model. I wasn't even sure it was going to work. Anyways, I had to see if it could run my favourite game, Quake which was donated to me by my favourite big cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu. Anyways, the MacBook was donated to me by my favourite Uncle Doctor Thao Vu. My own real mother Huong Thi Vu bought me MS-DOS 6.22 with all the certificate of authenticity and everything hehe. Kirsle has a copy of it as a backup that I ended up needing. VirtualBox allowed my MacBook to install DOS. Authentic DOS is hard to come by however it is a miracle that the speed somehow matches the requirement that Quake needed. So for twelve bucks or such, my mom bought me authentic MS-DOS. It is NOT DOSBox yet by the grace of The Holy Spirit and so forth, God provided me with true DOS on a Mac hehe Anyways, as of this time, Quake has been running on DOS within Mac successfully. According to my approximation it is going about 25 to 30 MHZ.

Thank you God for giving me an authentic rig of MS-DOS!

Thank you to my real father for making me backup so much that I still have a copy of my original Quake that I installed from the real original disc.

I also know that I have been outclassed by Quake even though it is my favourite game hehe The people who put together Quake really are awesome. The way the 3D is somehow modeled and the room is somehow like a real world. Definitely out of this world. hehe

Thank you Jesus Christ. :lol:
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Dude, Quake is totally coolest dudettes hehe

Well, while setting up my rig I got authentic pirated DOS to work hehe

Actually it seems all authentic because I have the official COA from the seller.

The only thing that worries me is that it is downloaded online hehe

Well, they shipped me the diskettes however it got de-magnetized and the files could not be read.

So instead of shipping it back to them and spending just as much money which I don't have since I am on welfare, I downloaded!

Anyways, out of two games, Quake worked.

The first I tried was Heroes of Might and Magic and it didn't go all the way.

It got stuck at the install screen unfortunately.

Not only that but my CD loader no longer works for DOS.

I only have 3.5-inch floppies that I could read now adays.

So that is a bummer.

No more high sounding spins haha

Anyways, I went to the hardest level in Quake and died and got reborned. :lol:

Well, to make it interesting or NOT - I live in a fairytale world.

Nothing goes wrong in my life anymore in this afterlife hehe

Oh well, I guess I just have to drink it up and be glad and rejoice hehe

I may never have kids since I am so irresponsible going to the hardest level of Quake.

However I wanted to prove to God that I could be like Jesus Christ!

Did you know that the hardest level of Quake have 3 people who are being crucified on the walls?

It is NOT funny however I tried to save them going in after them.

Maybe in this life I could do it again and be successful.

The last life I failed: The End.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Just as a reminder to others who have not been following, I once saw an interview from Allen Pilgrim that saved me more than once. So I actually put Xargon which is from Allen Pilgrim as number one choice for that reason alone.

However, for technicality I would praise Quake for their 3D rendering gifts. I don't know how they calculated their 3D world, but I am impress. This does not make Quake my favourite game. In fact, Quake is on the scary side and I prefer things that are nice. :lol:

I know working on my own projects that such an accomplishments is possible. God has bless me with knowledge of the circular formula for some reason. I always had strong pull towards mathematical accomplishments, obviously it is also reflected in my official and unofficial transcripts.

I don't know what else I will be producing however I hope to keep on working and making more interesting things in the days, weeks, and years to come. In the time being where I am down I have to thank my father Nguyen Binh Thuy for teaching me to keep studying so that I am able to keep up with the latest developments. Also I have to thank my real mom Huong Thi Vu for always being there for me.

Most important of all - I am grateful to God that I have a gift that Quake cannot beat! That is the gift of unconditional love from two real parents#!!

Seeing how powerful and mind-blowing Quake is, I am humiliated and now know I am the scum of the earth. I guess it is time to pack my bags and go home doing the exercises in my Borland books for the rest of my life! :lol:
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Frankly I'm not much of a fan of Quake. When true 3D games started coming out back in the mid-90s, I greatly disliked the low-detailed models and much preferred sprites. I have played the shareware version of Quake for a while a long ago but it's too dark and brownish to be aesthetically pleasant to me.

Have you tried Descent? It uses true 3D to the fullest, is a lot of fun to play and is certainly not scary. When it came out I thought it'd be boring, but the music and gameplay in Descent are simply awesome.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

To be honest, there is a difference between me being impress with the 3D rendering and being scared of playing the game! Quake is a very scary game to be. The dozen times that I have turned it on was more for testing my systems to see if it would run. If I had to spend the money I don't think I would have bought it in the first place. It was given to me. In fact, I was so disgusted and scared that I cracked the original disc and threw it in the garbage. The only reason I still have Quake is it still runs on my hard drive. However without the original disc it doesn't play the original music from Nine Inch Nails. It still has sound effects however the music doesn't play. I just keep it because of sentimental value. I am poor and it is one of the things that have been donated to me. I try to appreciate everything I have because I do not have much. I hate being the one who takes handouts. However God doesn't bless me with money. I am happy because I am a moral and ethical person. I have peace in my life and that is what is important to me. I don't have many friends. The only people I really talk with is my mom. The few relatives that I have know who I am. We don't BS much however we come together if something important needs to be discussed.

Surprised? hehe I just normally make it light because I have been through so much 3.14159265............ in my life that well I'm just happy to study again after dropping out. Although the studying is unofficial and in my own leisure I feel a sense of "coming home" so to speak. Coming home to my two real parents who worked so hard to put bread on the table.

I left my two real parents a long time ago and I know it is NOT all that it is cracked out to be. One day all each one of us has to face the fact that our parents are in Heaven and we don't want to look back and say "Sorry mom and dad"!!!!!!!!!!!!
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus! Speaking of my real parents I better honour them before it is too late. My real mom Huong Thi Vu says to be loving so I have to say since I didn't delete Quake from my hard drive I have a liking for it. I did give it a 10 out of 10 along with the other games. My real dad Nguyen Binh Thuy says I can't take it with me when I die. So I guess I couldn't care about the glories that Quake gets for their 3D engines. I can only say congratulations to the producers for a miracle in my eyes.

God knows I'm going to Heaven when I die seeing how much I love my two real parents. I might not be perfect and that is okay. My parents raised me the best they could and I try to impress them and that is enough. I would rather live in obscurity and with true love. hehe

Well, I can't say anything except good to all my friend's games. By the way, I notice my CD-ROM drive is back for some miraculous reason THANK YOU Jesus Christ#!! :lol:
rainwarrior
4-bit nibble

Post by rainwarrior »

I used to just watch the demo play The Necropolis over and over. The bouncing rocket launcher worked incredibly well. The game itself looked beautiful, and was responsive and fast even on relatively low spec hardware.

True 3D, and it gave you reasons to look up and down sometimes, but since the controls weren't really well set up for that (until mouselook became a thing) the level design made sure it wasn't something you had to do with critical timing.

I especially liked the way the 4 difficulty settings became the first room of the game that each had an appropriately difficult path to enter.