help finding an old game?!!

Need help remembering the name of a game you used to play? You've come to the right place!
tonyjholmes
Less than a nibble

help finding an old game?!!

Post by tonyjholmes »

Hey guys, cool site! i'm not too sure if this game was dos or not or the type of computer that i played it on! (not much help straight away!!). I remember i played it between 1988-1990. You were a man, perhaps a miner, and you used the direction keys to move up,down,left or right. as you moved around you mined through the square you moved to. I think you had to collect something as you moved but not to clear on what. If anyone could help me i would be very greatful as i have spent HOURS searching for this game!!! Many thanks.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

It could be a Boulder Dash type game like Heartlight PC or Trugg. Those are on the site. Try them out and tell me if I'm heading in the right direction.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
tonyjholmes
Less than a nibble

Post by tonyjholmes »

Hey thanks for the reply! It is definitely a boulder dash type game but neither of the twp you suggested were it. they were very similar though. I remember playing it around 1988-90 which is a few years before heartlightpc or trugg.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

The problem is that there were so many of these games. They're called "rock and diamond" games because you always collect diamonds and avoid boulders.

For the PC, there was Boulder Dash in 1984, Boulderdash II: Rockford's Revenge in 1985, and Super Boulder Dash in 1986, which collected Boulder Dash 1 and 2. These were all CGA games, and they were "boot loaders". That means that they weren't technically DOS games because they had their own disk operating software on the disk. You just booted from the floppy disk.

In 1987 there was Rockford: The Arcade Game for DOS, which was EGA. There was also a game called Boulder Dash Construction Kit in 1987, which had 15 original levels and allowed you to make your own. It was for DOS, and was probably EGA.

There were clones like Rock-Slide in 1989, which used high resolution monochrome CGA graphics (640×400). There was Supaplex in 1991, which has 320×200×256 color VGA graphics. There were shareware games like Heartlight PC and Trugg, and there are hundreds of other clones that were never distributed commercially, or had only limited success.

What were the graphics like, and was there a time limit?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.