No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 5

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Descent

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Re: Descent

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

Ah, Descent. A unique game for it's time. Smooth gameplay, good visuals. Recommended for those whom like flight simulators, shooters in general. Great game.
mrmusicmannn
Less than a nibble

Post by mrmusicmannn »

Lots of games work great, but this one keeps stopping on an error in the initial command line screen. Fix please?

EDIT: I got it working when I downloaded Boxer for mac and then downloaded the DOS version of Descent. Still couldn't get it to work in Firefox with the latest version Java, but this works fine.
Last edited by mrmusicmannn on October 1st, 2013, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

We'll need way more information than that. Are you playing it in your browser, running it in an emulator like DOSBox, or playing it natively in DOS or Windows XP?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
mrmusicmannn
Less than a nibble

Post by mrmusicmannn »

Once I got a frontend DOS emulator, it was working fine. Thanks.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

The built-in screen capture feature does not seem to work, at least in the shareware version. The readme, reference card and in-game help screen all state that pressing the Print Screen key should save a screen shot in PCX format into the game directory. However, this appears not to be the case if running the game in DOSBox (tried this with shareware versions 1.1 and 1.4). Vanilla DOSBox and SVN Daum work the same in this respect. I have not been able to run it in VirtualBox with FreeDOS, so no idea if this issue is only DOSBox-related or not.

Here, a user says that the Print Screen key also does nothing in the retail version sold at GOG.com (which also runs in DOSBox). I wonder if this feature isn't actually broken somehow.

[Edit] DOSBox developers have confirmed that the Print Screen key is not passed on to DOS programmes running in the emulator. In real DOS, the screen capture function works as intended.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Bummer. I tried remapping the Print Screen key to another key, but it still didn't get passed to the game.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

That's because it is still emulated as the Print Screen key for the game, even if a different key is pressed on the actual keyboard.

ripsaw8080 said that the decision not to pass the PrtSc key input to programmes inside DOSBox was made because of some tech considerations, but he wrote a quick patch that can be used if you compile DOSBox to enable the key.