No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 9

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Doom

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Re: Doom

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

The original Doom. Almost flawless, except for some shoddy level design in episodes 2+3. This game lives on with an impressively active online community.
E.K.Virtanen
5-bit member

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

7 points.

With all respect this game deserves, i can give only 7 points and even then, there is 1 extra doom point.
Neat game, but after third level, it gets boring. Before that, it's worth of 9 points.
Something funny should read here?
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

IGN's Ryan McCaffrey plays through the first episode of Doom in co-op mode with none other than John Romero:
http://youtu.be/YUU7_BthBWM
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

At VOGONS, there's an interesting discussion of DOS source ports of the game:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43115

There's of course DOSDoom, TeamTNT's Boom and MBF, but some other ports had DOS builds as well.

Also there has been a recent release of an updated version of MBF.

[Edit] Vavoom also has support for Heretic and Strife shareware. DOS binaries can be found here.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I am biased. I really think Doom has great 3D rendering abilities. However, because of a personal connection to a friend whom I will keep private, I vote for Xargon! :D
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

You don't need to choose between the two, they're different genres! :)
MrFlibble wrote:Vavoom also has support for Heretic and Strife shareware. DOS binaries can be found here.
I've tested the latest version in DOSBox and it's really slow, with long loading times. The lowest available screen resolution is 640x480. I guess this port works better on other platforms, or at least not in an emulated DOS environment.

MBF on the other hand is optimized to be fast, fixes bugs and has an optional high-resolution mode.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Slow loading times doesn't mean it is bad. According to theory, slow is better as far as stability is concerned. A rush job is necessary in situations when you are not prepared. However, if you are prepared there is no need to rush.

Thank you Jesus Christ that I am prepared for all situations that are bad#!! :D
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

developertn wrote:Slow loading times doesn't mean it is bad.
Oh, I totally didn't mean it was bad! I guess DOS builds of Vavoom work pretty well on real DOS hardware of the time. However, it's not the speediest way to play in DOSBox, and besides, there are other ports which are pretty fast (like MBF mentioned above).
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

haha - it is just a misunderstanding. :lol:
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

Funny that people would still discuss DOS ports of the game, which hasn't been very relevant for almost two decades now. In the meantime it has been ported to just about everything else imaginable and, since we have DOSBox now, you might as well just play the original using that? I mean, if you want extra features, isn't it better to use something more modern than, say, MBF (which was awesome in the day, but outdated now)?

As a side note, I've been replaying the game using a port called "DOOM Retro", which is pretty neat. Close enough to "vanilla", but with minor tweaks and enhancements.
Chinese checkers. Mashed potatoes! And a tyrannosaurus rex!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:Funny that people would still discuss DOS ports of the game, which hasn't been very relevant for almost two decades now.
It hasn't been very relevant because DOS emulation wasn't perfected yet. Also if you mean the VOGONS discussion, the guy was apparently building a dedicated DOS gaming rig.
ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:In the meantime it has been ported to just about everything else imaginable and, since we have DOSBox now, you might as well just play the original using that? I mean, if you want extra features, isn't it better to use something more modern than, say, MBF (which was awesome in the day, but outdated now)?
While I indeed usually prefer the originals, it's nice to have an option to play a version with bugs and omissions fixed. There aren't too many conservative DOS ports out there.

Also it appears that MBF isn't entirely outdated if someone took an effort to release an updated version less than a year ago.
ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:As a side note, I've been replaying the game using a port called "DOOM Retro", which is pretty neat. Close enough to "vanilla", but with minor tweaks and enhancements.
Yes, I heard about that one a while ago. I haven't tried it as the description kind of did not impress me.

I guess Chocolate Doom does the job of being the conservative port of the game to modern platforms. However, it doesn't seem to be completely Boom-compatible.