Coder hell...

Introduce yourself!
deathshadow
Classic Game Author

Coder hell...

Post by deathshadow »

Hey folks. I'm a old-school programmer who's been feeling a bit burned out on PHP/HTML/CSS and decided to visit my past, and start coding DOS games again. (though I've also been playing with SDL/OpenGL under Free Pascal and HTML 5's CANVAS element.)

Coding games for DOS actually has an interesting side effect I'm finding -- portability! With DosBox available on just about everything suddenly the old tired DOS environment could have a new lease on life.

I just released my first new complete game in over two decades -- I put up a thread about that here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=864

... and as I'm doing this for fun/stress relieving I'm putting it out there as copyrighted public domain -- so long as you credit me I don't mind people taking my code and running with it. All the games I release (and I'm planning on doing a few more) will likely include the complete Turbo pascal and ASM source code.

Yeah, Pascal, that's what I've been writing. My Pascal is so laden with x86 ASM it's ridiculous... basically I just use TP for memory management and glue.
If everyone is thinking the same, somebody isn't thinking.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Coder hell...

Post by DOSGuy »

I still love Pascal. And Delphi!

Dude, your game is awesome! A Pac-Man clone was the perfect choice for a 160x100 CGA game. The low-resolution graphics really create a great retro feel.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Re: Coder hell...

Post by developertn »

I agree.