Help me to find the game

Need help remembering the name of a game you used to play? You've come to the right place!
Nisha
Less than a nibble

Help me to find the game

Post by Nisha »

There was a game which i used to play during my school days..it was about rescuing a princess/girl..the hero had to jump through various hurdles to rescue the girl..the hurdles were hills and he had to over ice hills,jungle hills which kept melting..i used to love the game but can't remember the name..can someone help me out..

http://i.imgur.com/tJ2SyGv.jpg

the hurdles in the game were similar to the pic given..pls help someone
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Help me to find the game

Post by DOSGuy »

Around what year would that have been? Was this game for DOS, Windows, Mac?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
Nisha
Less than a nibble

Post by Nisha »

don't remember the year exactly..may be in the year 2002/2003..and i played the game online..
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Probably a Flash-based game, then.
Nisha
Less than a nibble

Post by Nisha »

DOSGuy wrote:Probably a Flash-based game, then.

yup..can u pls find the game for me
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

The problem is that this site is devoted to games for obsolete PC operating systems (DOS, CP/M-86, OS/2, Win16, Win9x). It's possible that someone here will recognize it, but it's not what this site is about, so you're probably out of luck. I don't know if there are any sites like this one that are devoted to Flash games or not, but if there are, that's where you should ask. I have no expertise on the subject.
Nisha
Less than a nibble

Post by Nisha »

ok..will look for similar sites..thanks...u tried
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I just thought about this some more, and the news is bad. The games on this website can be downloaded and shared; it's relatively easy to archive classic PC games. Flash games are designed to be played in your browser, so when a Flash game site shuts down, there's usually no way to play it any more. It is possible to download a Flash game and play it on your own computer, but people usually don't, and the owner of the Flash game usually doesn't want you to.

There are two reasons why it's hard to archive Flash games. The first is that people usually don't download them, because they don't know how or because the author doesn't want you to. The second is that, because Flash was created specifically for the internet, many Flash games require a connection to a database on the creator's server. Some of my favourite Flash games on Facebook have been shut down by their creators (Zynga, Playdom, etc.). Even if I downloaded the application for that game, I couldn't play it on my computer because the application would attempt to connect to Zynga's (or whoever's) server and the connection would be refused. This is increasingly a problem for PC and console games as well. I can play my copy of Commander Keen until the end of time, but I can only play World of Warcraft for as long as Blizzard keeps the WoW server running. When the creators pull the plug on an MMORPG, no one can play it any more.

Long story short, if the page where you used to play your game is no longer online, it's likely that no one in the world has a copy of the game because people don't usually try to download Flash games. Beyond that, many Flash games aren't designed to be playable offline, so if the game requires a connection to the creator's server, having a copy of the application would be useless.

The best case scenario is that the game you used to play is still online. The next-base case scenario is that it isn't online, but it can be played offline and someone out there downloaded a copy of it before the creator took it down. The worst case scenario is that it isn't online any more, and can't be played offline. Hopefully the best case or next-base case scenario is true. Good luck!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

DOSGuy wrote:Long story short, if the page where you used to play your game is no longer online, it's likely that no one in the world has a copy of the game because people don't usually try to download Flash games. Beyond that, many Flash games aren't designed to be playable offline, so if the game requires a connection to the creator's server, having a copy of the application would be useless.

The best case scenario is that the game you used to play is still online. The next-base case scenario is that it isn't online, but it can be played offline and someone out there downloaded a copy of it before the creator took it down. The worst case scenario is that it isn't online any more, and can't be played offline. Hopefully the best case or next-base case scenario is true. Good luck!
At least some flash games can be archived by the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. For example, the short Prince of Persia flash game (called Prince of Persia: Special Edition) Ubisoft released to promote then-upcoming Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time could be accessed via the Wayback Machine (I can't find the link now though).

So basically if you remember the website address you could try accessing that site via the Wayback Machine.

Also there are special sites that collect flash games, such as this one (with the aforementioned PoP flash game as example):
http://www.flashgames247.com/play/256.html

[Edit] Here's the archived version of PoP Special Edition from the official website:
http://www.prince-of-persia.com/minigame/