Wolfenstein 3D freeware?

Discuss classic PC games
VortiX
4-bit nibble

Wolfenstein 3D freeware?

Post by VortiX »

Since there's a flash version of the game with 3 episodes, is Wolf3D becoming freeware for DOS? Does 3DRealms have any permission or intention for this?
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Wolfenstein 3D freeware?

Post by DOSGuy »

3DRealms (Apogee actually) was only a distributor for Wolf3d. id Software owns the copyright and, as far as I know, has not declared the game freeware.

As for the free-to-play online version, I've viewed the source code on Bethesda's Wolf3d page and it does not appear to be a copy of the DOS version in a DOS emulator. Believe it or not, it looks like they ported Wolf3d to JavaScript! There are 25 .js files that handle the gameplay and AI, while most of the still images are PNGs and the text and menus are CSS.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I've never heard of an online free-to-play version of Wolfenstein 3-D. Is it any good? Does it handle the aspect ratio issue properly?
VortiX
4-bit nibble

Post by VortiX »

It looks like the DOS version but with different res and closed doors with usable space. http://wolfenstein.bethsoft.com/game_EU.php
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

Another neat thing to mention about this new HTML5 version is that the ricochet sound when you shoot a door finally plays properly. In the original, it didn't because the sound routine was simultaneously called having one sound at a time
Rola
Less than a nibble

Post by Rola »

Wikipedia wrote:The source code of the game was published by id Software on July 21, 1995, while the artwork data, music and software tools of the game remain under copyright.
...so you can use the engine, but not sprites, textures, sounds etc.
Jeffpiatt
Less than a nibble

Post by Jeffpiatt »

it's an HTML 5 port of the original 3 episode registered version of the game running on amazon EC3 servers. it's an promo for the birthday of the franchise. i can't get to the music or sprite files but the game runs in an iframe as an separate .html file and seems like the ultimate tech demo for html5 an web browser can run an dos program from 1991 on any platform.
nickherc
Less than a nibble

Post by nickherc »

My FPS I think. I think I even had the version with naked ladies on walls? I'm not sure, it's a bit foggy memory.