Monster Bash tile attribute help

Discuss game modding
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Monster Bash tile attribute help

Post by Malvineous »

Hi all,

I'm a bit stuck on one aspect of Monster Bash level editing, and I'm hoping someone might be willing to take a look and see if they can work anything out.

The way the Monster Bash map files work is that the background layer has a flag set for each tile where there is a point item in the foreground layer. Without this value set, the player cannot collect the point item and just walks behind it.

The problem is, there's no way to decide whether a given foreground tile is a point item or not. I have tried hard-coding it (e.g. the last tile in the foreground layer is a point item) but unfortunately each level uses a different tileset, and the tiles don't seem to always line up so this will break on some levels.

The tileset files have some tile properties, but these just control the slope and whether they can be shot, they don't tell you whether they are point items or not. The multitude of files that comprise a map don't seem to include anything either.

If anyone has any ideas how to work out which tiles are point items, let me know!