Ballistix

Requests for games that can't be added to the site will be moved here
blinkingboythe
5-bit member

Ballistix

Post by blinkingboythe »

A sort of pinball/hockey game from 1989. Its was a freeware game used to promote High Frequency BBS. The graphics were quite sophisticated for it's time.

[attachment deleted]
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Ballistix

Post by DOSGuy »

I have some suspicions about that backstory. The game flashes Psyclapse (the publisher, a sub-label of Psygnosis) and says it was converted by DMA Design. Those are both significant commercial software companies (they published and developed Lemmings) who would seem unlikely to put a lot of effort into creating a freeware game. They're also British companies, but High Phrequency appears to be an American BBS located near Chicago, Illinois. Why would a British company make a freeware game to promote an American BBS?

According to Wikipedia, the game was originally for Amiga and Atari ST, before being ported to DOS, Commodore 64, BBC Micro, Acorn Electric, and TurboGrafx 16. There is no mention of it being freeware.

I suspect that this BBS hex edited their information into the game. At any rate, the zip file contains no license file declaring it freeware, so I can't put it on the site.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

blinkingboythe, I hope you don't mid that I've removed your attachment since it appears to be a hacked game as DOSGuy pointed out.

BTW, I don' think there were many games created to promote BBSs in the first place, right?
blinkingboythe
5-bit member

Post by blinkingboythe »

MrFlibble wrote:blinkingboythe, I hope you don't mid that I've removed your attachment since it appears to be a hacked game as DOSGuy pointed out.

BTW, I don' think there were many games created to promote BBSs in the first place, right?
Thanks for letting me know