An MS-DOS game called Prospector...

These requests for help have been resolved, but they may help you find a game that you're looking for
Ermahgerd
Less than a nibble

An MS-DOS game called Prospector...

Post by Ermahgerd »

Hi guys,

I remember playing a game from the late 1980's/early 1990's called Prospector. The goal was to pick up piles of gold and ride platforms. The problem is that I cannot find it anywhere online. Is there anyone here who knows this game? Or knows how to get it?

Thanks
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: An MS-DOS game called Prospector...

Post by DOSGuy »

Some information about the graphics would be helpful. Is it, by any chance, Lost Dutchman Mine?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ermahgerd
Less than a nibble

Post by Ermahgerd »

Thanks!! This is it!!
Ermahgerd
Less than a nibble

Post by Ermahgerd »

Where in earth did you find it? I've been looking for it for years!
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

More good news. I talked to Lee Chapel and he still accepts registration for the full version.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

You forgot to move this to the resolved forum

and I don't remember linking to this site, I originally linked to an archive. I find my edited post offensive as it implies I spent no effort in finding a game that's now on this site. Towards your file contributors, it's not very respectful. What is this, some strange SEO practice? If it is, then i'm done here.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I apologize. I do have a habit of redirecting links to external downloads to the game's page on this site once the game has been added to the site. I feel that this is justified for several reasons:

1. I have no control over external websites, and downloads on external websites have a nasty habit of disappearing. Take, for instance, the awesome Doomworld website that lists every download and patch for almost every game id ever made. Unfortunately, their links are all dead (like on the Patches page) because 3ddownloads.com has become part of AtomicGamer. :( That's why I host all of the site's downloads on this site: I know that I'm not going anywhere.

2. The link to the game's page on this website ought to be more useful to the original poster since, in addition to the file, there is also a review, screenshots, ordering information and, most importantly, usually a link to play the game in your browser, which avoids the need to learn how to use DOSBox, which many people find intimidating.

3. Well... it's the forum for RGB Classic Games. Why shouldn't a link on RGB Classic Games' forum link to a page on the RGB Classic Games website if there is one?

I also add RGB's GOG affiliate code when people link to games on GOG.com because no one else's affiliate code was there, so it doesn't deprive anyone else of a commission and it supports this site.

I certainly do respect the effort that you put into finding the file and I'm very grateful that you did. I didn't expect it to be a problem, and I would restore the link if I knew what it was. You can put it back if you still do.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

DOSGuy wrote:1. I have no control over external websites, and downloads on external websites have a nasty habit of disappearing. Take, for instance, the awesome Doomworld website that lists every download and patch for almost every game id ever made. Unfortunately, their links are all dead (like on the Patches page) because 3ddownloads.com has become part of AtomicGamer. :( That's why I host all of the site's downloads on this site: I know that I'm not going anywhere.

2. The link to the game's page on this website ought to be more useful to the original poster since, in addition to the file, there is also a review, screenshots, ordering information and, most importantly, usually a link to play the game in your browser, which avoids the need to learn how to use DOSBox, which many people find intimidating.

3. Well... it's the forum for RGB Classic Games. Why shouldn't a link on RGB Classic Games' forum link to a page on the RGB Classic Games website if there is one?
I think the problem with disappearing links could be easily solved by adding the link to the site alongside the original link in leilei's post, preferably with an explicit indication that you added the link for everyone's convenience. Otherwise the edited post really makes a false impression that leilei simply looked up the game in question here on the site, instead of all the real effort that was put into finding this pretty much obscure game.

BTW, does the forum software allow for showing what user made the latest changes to a post? I know it's doable on some engines but apparently this feature is either missing or not enabled here.

I'm not sure if the forum rules actually state that changes can be made to any user's post without their knowledge and consent, but I'm pretty certain everyone would appreciate if the users were informed of any and all changes to their posts beyond the trivial stuff like the "[Added to the site]" tags either publicly or via a personal message.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm not a phpBB expert, but I think the database only records the time of the last edit, not the name of the editor.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Obviously I didn't think this through and made a major mistake. Indeed, changing someone's post without leaving an edit notice is unacceptable. I'm really pretty busy with site development and I no longer have the time to read all the posts in the forum anyway, so I've asked MrFlibble to be the forum administrator. Let's get a fresh start and keep moving forward in a positive direction. :)
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

DOSGuy wrote:I'm really pretty busy with site development and I no longer have the time to read all the posts in the forum anyway, so I've asked MrFlibble to be the forum administrator. Let's get a fresh start and keep moving forward in a positive direction. :)
Thanks! I hope everything work out fine.
Lunick
6-bit nerd

Post by Lunick »

Congratulations :D
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, I don't seem to have the rights to edit anything expect my own posts, so no way I'm getting to pull off a large-scale Orwellian editing endeavour here ;)

Jokes aside though, I'm seriously worried about the incident with leilei's post and I hope she reconsiders the decision to quit the forums.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

You can't? If I can't and you can't, who's running this place? <sigh>

I'll try to figure this out.

Edit: Okay, that was a phpBB peculiarity. You were an Administrator but not a Global Moderator. I assumed that the Admin group's rights were a superset of the Mod group's rights, but apparently not. I'm not sure what Admins can do that Mods can't, or what the point of being an Admin would be if you're not also a Mod. Anyway, you're now both.