Saving the site

Post suggestions, correct errors or omissions, or anything else about the site
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Saving the site

Post by DOSGuy »

Qbix wrote:Did they work it out or do you have to wait another week ?
On March 13 a telephone agent told me that my fax was received, and it would take five business days to redeem the domain. Today they sent me an email saying that they don't have the fax and asked me to send it again. I told them that unless they're telling me that the telephone agent lied to me, they have to get their act together and find the fax that I already sent them.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

This is horrible! :shock: Do you have any kind of confirmation that they got the fax besides the agent's verbal reply?
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

It doesn't really matter if I can prove that they received it since the one of their emails stated the department that received the fax is unable to send it to the processing department. I cannot imagine why the people who accept the faxes are not able to scan, fax or mail the fax to the processing group, but they're now insisting that they never received the fax at all, presumably to explain the inability of one group to relay the fax to the other. I have been misdirected and, I believe, outright lied to several times during this frustrating process. Getting angry and insisting that they locate the fax that they claimed to have received on March 13 isn't working, so I give up on the whole fax thing.

They also asked me to scan the form and email it as an attachment, which I can't really do at the moment, so I filled out the form again, took a screenshot and emailed it to them so that they can't deny receiving the fax.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Sounds like red tape at its worst >:( Even the more frustrating that it is actually their job, and the customers pay them money to get those services.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

And, just like that, everything is back to normal.

If everyone who has changed their links to classicdosgames.org could please change them back to classicdosgames.com, that would be most appreciated. Thank you for your loyalty and support when things were messed up.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

Wow, fantastic! That's a relief everything's back to normal. My links are now back to .com. I hope you give it a few weeks and then move to another registrar!
Litude
File Contributor

Post by Litude »

Great news! Nice to know the website will still live on. Good thing the provider got their act together despite it taking a week or so.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I've been trying to get the domain transferred since March 7, and it took 19 days. During that time, traffic dropped from 3000 visitors per day to 100, eventually settling at 300 per day. We lost 90% of our visitors for almost three weeks. I haven't yet spoken to my advertisers (hoping that they wouldn't notice), but two of their agreements expired this month and maybe they won't renew after what's happened, so there could still be financial repercussions to what happened.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I'm so happy, congratulations! :lol: Whew, great to see that everything is back to normal :D
danoon
DOSBox Programmer

Post by danoon »

Congratulations. I was shocked when I went to .org and it transferred me to .com. I thought my browser was used a cached version of the page at first :D
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Not sure if this is related to recent events or not, but I've noticed today that I can't log in when using Opera. I enter my login/password as usual and it is accepted, but when I get back to the index page, it's as if I wasn't logged in. If I try to post, I get the log in form, and when I hit "Return to the previous page" after logging in, I get back to the log in form again. When in Firefox, everything works just fine.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I had the same problem in Chrome, which I was finally able to resolve when I used "Delete cookies and other site data" and chose "the past week" from the dropdown menu. Presumably you had no cookies for this forum in Firefox, so if you delete your cookies in Opera it should work. I can only assume that there's some conflict between the .org cookies that the forum was handing out and the .com cookies that it's handing out now.

Even after deleting my cookies, I've been unable to stay logged in. I've just purged the forum's cache and purged all sessions to see if that helps.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Hmm, everything is back to normal without any specific actions on my part (my preferred Opera settings include purging the cache - but not the cookies though - on exit, but yesterday I opened up Opera at least twice when trying to log in here, so it's probably not the case).