No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 1

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

In Pursuit of Greed

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
If RGB Classic Games matters to you, tell someone!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: In Pursuit of Greed

Post by MrFlibble »

The game is actually pretty nice and employs quite a few unusual concepts. The engine, although not producing the best of visuals for that time, is rather decent and has those "advanced" features like height changes, sloped floors, vertically moving platforms etc. (I'm not sure if there are non-orthogonal walls though). Not the best game in the genre, sure, but definitely worth checking out. Oh, and there are five extremely weird playable characters for extra fun.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Here's the intro from the full game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXtukCYZdis

Apparently, the guy who wrote the soundtrack, Andrew G. Sega, later scored Unreal, and the intro music (also audible in the demo) was recycled for that game.

Someone also recorded the entire soundtrack of In Pursuit of Greed and put it on YouTube as a single music video (over 1 hour long):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXgEM42PbGc
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

I still stand by my nickname for it "In Fursuit of Greed".....
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Obviously the game doesn't take itself too seriously either. It isn't exactly a barrel of laughs for the most part - as far as I'm concerned, at least - but the twists to the gameplay make it somewhat stand out in the crowd of "Doom clones".

Also, I think MooMan has his own fanbase out there :lol:
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

The earliest demo of the game was released on Sep 22, 1995, according to this press release. This is, most probably, the demo v2.0 found here.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I've just read in another forum that the source code of the game (complete with a working build as it seems!) has been released by Red Shadow Software (which seem to be the same people as Channel 7 Software):
http://www.redshadowsoftware.com/projects/greed
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:Red Shadow Software (which seem to be the same people as Channel 7 Software)
This turned out to be only partially correct: Red Shadow Software is the website of Robert W. Morgan III, who is one of the two official founders of Channel 7 Software (the other being Jeremy D. Stanton), as is explained on the Iron Seed page.

On another note, the DOS source zip seems to include the full DOS version of the game as well (in the BUILD folder).
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Mr. Morgan has uploaded the full CD version of the game as a separate download:
http://www.redshadowsoftware.com/projects/greed

The page now explains the copyright to the game engine, assets and soundtrack in detail. Softdisk apparently do not have any rights to the game, and it's free to download and use the game for non-commercial purposes.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

MrFlibble wrote:On another note, the DOS source zip seems to include the full DOS version of the game as well (in the BUILD folder).
At 149 MB, the In Pursuit of Greed source code archive is the largest on the site by 145 MB. That would seem to explain it.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, the separate CD version download is only about 38 MiB in size. Without the cinematics, it's just below 10 MiB. (Both versions are available from Robert W. Morgan III's website.)

I've just checked the source zip contents again, there's a lot of stuff actually. The BUILD folder, as I mentioned above, contains the game without cinematics. The FINAL folder contains the full game as it would be installed from the CD, two folders with movies, and a folder with the demo version.

The full version Mr. Morgan uploaded reports its number as v1.000.032. This website has screenshots from a different version, v1.000.039. Apparently, Softdisk published a version with selectable episodes (as one shown here).

On yet another note, it turns out that a company called Memorex Software released the game under the title Assassinators. Box scans of this release can be found here. Robert Morgan says he was unaware of this version.
Lunick
6-bit nerd

Post by Lunick »

Can't see those scans without an account sadly.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Lunick wrote:Can't see those scans without an account sadly.
This is weird, I don't have any account there either. Apparently the forums have switched to a new viewing policy this year.

Anyway, the scans were not hosted there. Here's the back side of the box:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24444dg&s=6
MrFlibble wrote:The full version Mr. Morgan uploaded reports its number as v1.000.032. This website has screenshots from a different version, v1.000.039.
I've just noticed that Robert Morgan's version also reports the number as 1.000.039 on startup, even though the installer says v1.000.032.