Out of date and innaccurate stuff

Post suggestions, correct errors or omissions, or anything else about the site
Nerd42
Less than a nibble

Out of date and innaccurate stuff

Post by Nerd42 »

Just surfing around the site real quick for the first time, I quickly notice alot of stuff that's out of date or innaccurate. Here are a few suggestions of stuff that you ought to add/change.

First of all, the petitions page states, "The full versions of some games are no longer available for sale or as freeware, making it impossible for them to be enjoyed by future generations." This is not strictly true - a correct statement would be, "The full versions of some games are no longer available for sale or as freeware, making it impossible for them to be legally enjoyed by future generations." Violating international copyright law is quite possible and people do it all the time. (they often use the "abandonware" argument as justification - not saying this is right or wrong, just pointing out that illegal and impossible are two different things.)

Second, Descent has the comment, "Interplay has filed for bankruptcy protection and has closed its online store. Descent can still be ordered through Amazon as part of the Interplay 15th Anniversary Anthology." - this is no longer the best way to purchase Descent. You can legally purchase Descent through "Good Old Games" right here: www.gog.com/en/gamecard/descent_1_descent_2 That's what the DX-Rebirth web site encourages you to do. http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

Third, as far as modern DOS games go, you should definitely add ASCII Portal and Keys of Krodacia
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Out of date and innaccurate stuff

Post by DOSGuy »

I don't think there's a lot of out-of-date and inaccurate stuff on the site. Classic DOS Games is one of the most frequently updated DOS game sites in the world, and I thank the site's visitors for drawing stuff to my attention when things change.

I'm not going to change the line about discontinued games being enjoyed by future generations. It goes without saying that there are illegal ways to acquire the games.

As for Descent, it's a matter of opinion which way is better to acquire the game. If you want the original disc and manual, Amazon and eBay are probably your best bet. Descent, and many other games, are available on GOG. Classic DOS Games' finances are made public, so I'll let you know that Amazon and GOG pay me a commission when you buy stuff from them using one of the links on the site.

I've spent several hundred dollars buying original DOS games this year (I'll be publishing the list shortly) to scan and image for the DOS Historical Preservation Society. Classic DOS Games and its sister projects have a large mandate, and it's expensive. I've kept advertising to a minimum, and I think the links to Amazon and GOG are justifiable because they legitimately help visitors to find copies of games that they want to buy.

I'll check out the two game suggestions, probably in the New Year.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

ASCIIp0rtal is not a DOS game, it's a WinNT console game and is an unauthorized version.

Keys of Krodacia is an unauthorzied Keen game and doesn't belong here.
Calvero
5-bit member

Post by Calvero »

The Kroz games are freeware now, so the petition is not needed anymore.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Yeah, that's an ongoing annoyance. I was able to shut down all of the other petitions when they were no longer needed, but the password PetitionOnline gave me for the Kroz petition doesn't work. I've used PetitionOnline's contact form to request a new password several times over the last few months, but I never get a response. If I could shut it down, I would.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.