Ancient 3d Bond Game and even older Alien game. [David Wolf: Secret Agent and Obliterator]

These requests for help have been resolved, but they may help you find a game that you're looking for
Penelope
Less than a nibble

Ancient 3d Bond Game and even older Alien game.

Post by Penelope »

First of all great site and I have been amazed with the response rate this forum seems to have.

So kudos to all of you.

These two games are from my childhood but I remember them both fairly distinctly. Both of them were booted up in DOS.

The first one was a Bond game. It had crude 3d graphics. One level had you driving a car, but the level I specifically remember was having to skydive out of an airplane and accurately catch the villain in mid-air to steal his parachute before he deployed it and sent you plummeting to earth without one. You had very loose control over Bond while he was falling and it was in very primitive 3d. After obtaining the parachute you then had to land inside a truck / garbage truck to complete the level.

VERY VERY primitive 3d. The truck was just a black square on the brown strip of road surrounded by the green ground as far as I can remember.

No textures whatsoever I think.

The 2nd game was a side scroller that took place inside an alien ship. Your goal was to plant 4 or 5 bombs which would start a timer. Before the timer ran out you had to make it back to the start and escape. The aliens were semi mechanical and fairly frightening. Most of the time I remember that direct combat was not a good idea. There were blue colored rejuvenators along with some other teleporters helping you navigate around the ship.

There weren't a lot of colors in the game (16?) but the screens were fairly detailed and the alien ship was large with many different branching paths.

I've spent hours on google looking for either of them but I can't find a trace. This surprises me considering one of them featured Bond, so I'm beginning to think it may have been unlicensed.

The last time I would have played either of them was over 16 years ago.

Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by Penelope on November 12th, 2009, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
leilei
File Contributor

Re: Ancient 3d Bond Game and even older Alien game.

Post by leilei »

First one has to be David Wolf: Secret Agent. Dynamix's Bond knock-off.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/david ... creenshots
Penelope
Less than a nibble

Re: Ancient 3d Bond Game and even older Alien game.

Post by Penelope »

That's it!

Wow, the fact that it wasn't actually Bond definitely threw my own search off the tracks.

To provide a little more info on the second game, it doesn't scroll. When you got to the edge of the current screen it would then switch to the next.

It was almost reminiscent of Metroid.

Thanks for the help!
Penelope
Less than a nibble

Re: Ancient 3d Bond Game and even older Alien game. Resolved!

Post by Penelope »

FOUND IT!

After 3 hours of slowly checking every title in Wikipedia's list of DOS games, halfway through the O's I hit the jackpot.

"Obliterator"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obliterator

While that is definitely the game, the screenshots are all from the Amiga version, and I'm almost positive I played the IBM version.

How the hell am I going to find a copy of that?

EDIT:

Nevermind! Ebay is swarming with $5 copies. All I have to do is crack out the 'ol floppy drive.

I found a few abandonware sites hosting it as well, but I wasn't sure if it had actually been legitimately released into the wild yet. Considering Psygnosis has been a part of Sony since '93 (http://www.giantbomb.com/psygnosis-limited/65-448/) I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order a hard copy.

Here are some screen shots of the game as I played it 18 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Re: Ancient 3d Bond Game and even older Alien game. RESOLVED!

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

Now you've posted the pictures, I think I've played that game at some point. On the Amiga.
Chinese checkers. Mashed potatoes! And a tyrannosaurus rex!