Tribolo

To declutter the game request forum, fulfilled requests will be moved here
mama_casper
Less than a nibble

Tribolo

Post by mama_casper »

hi im new to this site and forum but i am having trouble finding a game i don't think it is on this site the name of the game is Tribolo it is a Soleau game but anyways i am suggesting that that game be brought to this site if it wouldn't be to much of a problem it is a great game
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Tribolo

Post by DOSGuy »

Yup, I've got Tribolo. That's doable.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
mama_casper
Less than a nibble

Post by mama_casper »

thank you
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

It's coming really soon. I'm on a roll with a bunch of awesome games by David P. Gray and Everett Kaser that I just found. I'll go back into my archive of William Soleau games that haven't been uploaded yet as soon as I finish this. I just don't want to lose my momentum or my train of thought.
51Gemini
Less than a nibble

Post by 51Gemini »

I was just playing Tribolo, and was looking for reference to the FONT used in Tribolo and BlindWars - as it displays garbage when listing scores etc on Win XP system ( but all is clear on the Dos / Win 3.11 system ) - I seem to recall reading that it was a Dos font, that was dropped - but not sure if it was Win 95 or Win 98. Wondering if anyone can advise the font required and if it will load on newer versions of Windows.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

That's a good question. A number of William Soleau's games display garbage text in Windows XP, but I don't think it can be fixed by finding a font. Games that used any font besides the standard ASCII font supported by the BIOS (your computer displays text during the POST even before the operating system has been loaded into memory) included their own fonts in .FON files. I'm not sure what the source of the incompatibility is, but DOSBox resolves it.
51Gemini
Less than a nibble

Post by 51Gemini »

Hi, I have found reference to the old problem - copy of the text from http://www.soleau.com/tsr.html is posted below.
I have downloaded the file for the generic fix - and ran FIX8X14.COM and Tribolo shows the player scores where it was showing garbage before.

Cheers

Scrambled Text Characters in DOS games

PROBLEM:
When running some of the DOS games the text appears scrambled.

REASON:
The Cirrus Logic-5429 and CL-GD543X chip as well as many other manufactuers chip sets do not support the 8 x 14 (VGA) font on the BIOS. This VGA font is used on some of our older DOS games which produce garbage text charaters when used with these chips.

SOLUTION:
To correct this problem, the user needs to run a patch program depending on your video card. We cannot guarentee any third party solutions will work for your particular computer, however many solutions exist at the locations below.

A fix for many video cards can be found here at:

http://www.bttr-software.de/fix8x14/

(Thanks to Robert Riebisch at BTTR Software.)
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

That's a great find! Thank you very much.