No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 13

MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: DOSBox

Post by MrFlibble »

I've been using DOSBox since v0.63. It allowed me to play Dune II with sound and music, for which I'm very thankful :)
deathshadow
Classic Game Author

Post by deathshadow »

Probably one of the best bits of software in ages -- though I took one point off because it doesn't have an opcode-timer accurate mode, so I still need a 4.77mhz machine for testing.

But then I'm the nut using it as a development testing platform.
If everyone is thinking the same, somebody isn't thinking.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Console emulators have to be cycle accurate. Perfect accuracy may be expensive from a performance perspective, but it's the surest way to get 100% compatibility.

The point of DOSBox is to have a DOS emulator that "just works". It's not bloated by emulating every last piece of hardware in a PC, so it has always been faster and had lower system requirements than complete PC emulators. I appreciate that, but part of the goal has to be to not just play DOS games, but to have them run exactly the way they would on a real PC with a real copy of DOS. I fully support the inclusion of cycle accurate emulation of specific CPUs, or a cycle accurate core for developers.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

That's where this emulator comes in. emulates XT, AT, 286, 386, 486 (up to 40mhz) including BIOS

it's nice seeing an emulator run the old '93 AMIBIOS :)