How to have DOS Box show in my browser

The place to ask for technical support and offer assistance
mike
Less than a nibble

How to have DOS Box show in my browser

Post by mike »

Hello,
I am programming in HTML and I am trying to get DOSbox to show up in my browser the same way it shows up in classicdosgames.com What code do I type to get this to happen? Can someone please help me?
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Re: How to have DOS Box show in my browser

Post by developertn »

Hello Sir,

Please check www.playdosgames.com; They should have what you are looking for. I believe you need JAVA, but not sure.

Please tell your friends they should recommend DOS games hehe

I'm not perfect and at least I'm trying to help out the best that I am able.

:)
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

RGB Classic Games uses jDOSBox to run DOS games in a user's browser. The jDOSBox website should have all the documentation you need to implement it in your own site.
mike
Less than a nibble

Post by mike »

I found this website http://www.deathshadow.com/jDOSBoxHowTo that shows steps that appear to answer my question. But I don't quite understand how to do steps 2 and 3. Can some one please make a youtube tutorial on all 3 steps listed on the website showing how to have JDOSbox in my browser? Also I went to the website suggested by MR. Flibble but I didn't see any steps listed to accomplish putting JDOSbox in my browser.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Dear Sir,

I went to the webpage and I've got to agree it is difficult to understand.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

mike wrote:But I don't quite understand how to do steps 2 and 3. Can some one please make a youtube tutorial on all 3 steps listed on the website showing how to have JDOSbox in my browser? Also I went to the website suggested by MR. Flibble but I didn't see any steps listed to accomplish putting JDOSbox in my browser.
Why don't you just view the code of a page with jDOSBox implemented here at the site, and use this as a guidance for your own site?

Or do you have problems with creating your own JAR files?
mike
Less than a nibble

Post by mike »

Yes, I am trying to create a JAR file as described in step 2 of the website I mentioned earlier. I am researching jar files but I'm stuck.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, it would be logical to download one from here and use it as an example for your own files. It is my understanding from the tutorial you have linked to that JAR files are essentially zip archives.

BTW, just in case, I'm only the forum admin and not the site admin, and I have no experience in web programming. The site amdin is pretty busy nowadays but hopefully he will drop by and give you advice.
mike
Less than a nibble

Post by mike »

I would really appreciate it if he did. Thank you for your help thus far.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

BTW

I know a police officer name Mike. You would not happen to be a police officer would you?

By law a police officer must state that they are so if asked.

Just for your reference, I am giving you my full real name so I am putting myself on the line too.

My real name is Tien Khoa Nguyen
mike
Less than a nibble

Post by mike »

No I'm not an officer, I'm a different mike.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

God, Jesus Christ, is number one.

Post by developertn »

Jesus!

Just in case you are an ex-police officer and still a good standing member of the law enforcement division:

Dear Sir/Maam,

While my real father is no longer with me, his spirit still lives with me. He always tells me never do anything you'd regret. My real father's name is Nguyen Binh Thuy.

My real mom is still with me and she is the one who tells me all the time that I can't help it and to be nice.

So in honour of my two real parents and giving full respect to the law, welcome to the DOS community.

Here are three files that are WinRAR and it should help you to make a zip file. WinRAR has been known to be 100% relialbe. If you do download this classic version, please know that Alexander Roshal deserves recognizing for the great work.

According to the website link you posted some compression programs like ZIP may be too strong. In WinRAR you are able to set the compression strength in addition to many other properties. This is proprietary to WinRAR 3.93.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/njyu4 ... rar393.exe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zszhx ... R_3.93.one

<link removed> ~MrFlibble

I believe you get a 30-day free trial, however, for the police officer I've given you my password file.

All I ask is that you take care of all my family and friends!

Thank you Sir/Maam,

Nguyen Khoa Tien
October 1, 2015 CST
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

deathshadow's tutorial is pretty good. I only had time to browse step 2 and 3, so I'm not sure if it talked about creating a disk image to put in the ZIP file that you're going to rename JAR. If you don't know how to create and mount disk images, then that's a whole other topic that you'll need to research. Once you have a JAR file with a disk image online, you'll have two issues: most modern browsers won't run a Java applet that is unsigned or self-signed by default. I had to pay $254.33 for a 2-year license from Thawte (which runs out in a few months) to make this site capable of supporting jDosbox.

I don't have time to create a YouTube tutorial. The web part is relatively easy, but you may need to study how to create disk images using Bochs and mounting them in DOSBox. Your real barrier to entry, though, is that once you get everything online, no one will be able to use it unless you're willing to pay for a signature from a recognized signing authority.
Last edited by DOSGuy on October 1st, 2015, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
mike
Less than a nibble

Post by mike »

Thank you for the tip DOSGuy, but I still don't see how to create the JAR file described in step 2 of deathshadows website http://www.deathshadow.com/jDOSBoxHowTo What exactly do I put in the folder before renaming it as a Jar? I made an IMA image of the game I want to use, but I don't know how to structure the insides of the folder I'm renaming as a jar. What do I put inside, how do I create a META-INF directory with a MANIFEST.MF file in it and where does it go in the folder? I'm a novice at programming in html and CMD command prompt, but I don't know anything about Java.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I'm new myself. According to The Holy Bible, admitting you are nothing is a start. So I admit I'm a nothing!

However, from my narrow-minded nothing brains, :lol: I've stumbled upon a close-up view of the picture to the right of step two. The first picture should contain a larger one when you click on it. You might need to double-click? I'm not sure about all this since I'm a nobody. I'm sorry if I couldn't help you out much. Thank you for your understanding.

May God bless you on your way.