Save Files?

The place to ask for technical support and offer assistance
DBBNG
Less than a nibble

Save Files?

Post by DBBNG »

I was playing Xargon last night and I made a save file before i went to bed and i closed out my browser. Now today I played it again and lost my save file. Is there anyway to keep save files when playing games online, because if i lost my Xargon im sure i lost my other save files too.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Save Files?

Post by DOSGuy »

The disk images are read-only. It has to be that way so that visitors can't overwrite or delete files and ruin the game for everyone else. Any change that you make to the disk image -- such as saving your game -- will not be retained. To save your progress, you'll have to download the game and play it offline.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
DBBNG
Less than a nibble

Post by DBBNG »

Aww alright. Unfortunately my computer is 64 bit and when I downloaded the game it said incompatible with my computer. Thanks for responding.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

DBBNG wrote:Unfortunately my computer is 64 bit and when I downloaded the game it said incompatible with my computer.
This problem is more than sufficiently solved by using DOSBox, a programme that emulates a computer running DOS. Here's a tutorial to get you started. Xargon runs in DOSBox pretty well.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

DOSBox, by the way, is what lets you play the game online! When you play Xargon on this site, you're playing it in a Java port of DOSBox called jDosbox. The fact that you can play it online proves that you can play it offline in DOSBox.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
Lunick
6-bit nerd

Post by Lunick »

If only that Xargon port was finished...
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

It is finished :-P What, you want fancy features like full-screen and scaling? Well that's no longer a port now is it?? ;-)
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I have taken the liberty to split the part of the conversation concerning source ports and moved it here.