Dvorak typing

Discuss just about anything else
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Dvorak typing

Post by DOSGuy »

I decided to finally learn to type on a Dvorak keyboard yesterday. I don't actually have a Dvorak keyboard, but Windows can make a QWERTY keyboard act like a Dvorak keyboard.

I learned to touch type a finger at a time, a row at a time, using a program called All The Right Type for DOS in high school. Most typing tutors use the same 15 lesson system. The only Dvorak typing tutor I'm aware of is for Dvorty switchable keyboards. I had to just throw myself into it and switch my keyboard to Dvorak and put a printout of the Dvorak layout under my monitor. I had to learn the entire keyboard at once but, by the end of the day, I could touch type.

I used an online typing speed test at the end of the day yesterday and I consistently scored 8 or 9 wpm, compared with 74 on QWERTY. I felt drunk sitting there, thinking about each key as I struggled to get through 500 characters. I'm up to 11 wpm today.

Has anyone else put themselves through learning the Dvorak keyboard?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Dvorak typing

Post by DOSGuy »

I hit 15 wpm yesterday (doubled my speed in two days!) and 18 wpm today. I actually had a hard time switching back to QWERTY for a few minutes today.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.