3D Realms was bought by Interceptor Entertainment

Discuss just about anything else
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

3D Realms was bought by Interceptor Entertainment

Post by MrFlibble »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... -3d-realms
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ox-lawsuit
JIC, Interceptor Entertainment are the guys behind the remake of Rise of the Triad.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: 3D Realms was bought by Interceptor Entertainment

Post by DOSGuy »

Wow. Apogee has been extremely generous in declaring all of their discontinued games freeware and continuing to offer all of their non-freeware games for sale. I hope that Interceptor will continue that tradition.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

We can actually ask Frederik Schreiber, the CEO of Interceptor, directly about that. He frequents the Duke4.net Forums and generaly makes an impression of an open, communicative person.

Also as of now I'm not sure which rights to what games have been transferred. There's also the new Apogee Software LLC which is not the same thing as Apogee Software Ldt. that is the original Apogee/3D Realms company, now acquired by Interceptor.

Apogee Software LLC started as a direct successor of the original Apogee, however I have no details about the people behind it.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

My understanding of Apogee LLC was that they had purchased the right to create original games with Apogee intellectual property. It was explained (more or less clearly) in the forum at the time.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Just in case, I asked about the possibility of adding more Apogee/3DR games to the GOG.com catalogue (a question that has been raised before too), hopefully Frederik Schreiber will provide some answer.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Frederik Schreiber is currently browsing through the 3D Realms archives, and he has already found several old builds of Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, as well as some high-resolution art from both games:
http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7366-duke ... _p__192118
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Cool! It will be interesting to see what else they discover.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Frederik Schreiber promises that the beta builds will be eventually made public (including the previously leaked beta versions of Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior).

For example, not long ago video footage of a previously unknown pre-release build of Duke Nukem 3D was discovered (YouTube link) which shows significant differences in level layout from the final version of the game. The guys from the Duke4.net community who are currently helping Frederik with sorting 3DR archives have confirmed that this build is available and will be eventually made public (it's the shareware version).