CD Catalog

Discuss just about anything else
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

CD Catalog

Post by Hallfiry »

As some of you might know, a friend of mine and I created a 1090 files large "Where is it?" catalog of magazine CDs. The french guys(and girls?) from abandonware-magazines.org did the same with most of their CDs, which gives us another 559 indexed CDs. "Where is it?" provides a little function that can export a "report" (= list of files, folders and media) as sql operations that create a corresponding table. This output isn't perfect, so you gotta tweek it a little bit before you can actually put it into a database, but it's still very useful. So, the last two days I worked on a little interface for working with that database and created a little test page for it:

zako döt kultcds döt com
(again a page that I don't want to be crawled)

As you can see, I decided to use the very well known "index of" look, which is simple and common. The search function isn't finished by the time that I post this, but it gives you basically the results that the first "release" will give you, too (the release version will have more crosslinked search results, etc.; I think it's clear what's still missing there.). The current database features about 120 CDs for testing purpose.

Tomorrow evening (so basically in 24 hours from now), I will hopefully release the first version of that page with about 1700 indexed CDs.
I will try to link them to the corresponding CD image download links on kultcds.com, abandonware-magazines.org, thecompany.pl and oldgames.sk, but I can't do that tomorrow, since it's a very slow process that has to be done manually (if someone wants to help me with that, I'd be glad).
Magazine cover disk catalog:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: CD Catalog

Post by MrFlibble »

Hallfiry wrote:As you can see, I decided to use the very well known "index of" look, which is simple and common. The search function isn't finished by the time that I post this, but it gives you basically the results that the first "release" will give you, too (the release version will have more crosslinked search results, etc.; I think it's clear what's still missing there.). The current database features about 120 CDs for testing purpose.

Tomorrow evening (so basically in 24 hours from now), I will hopefully release the first version of that page with about 1700 indexed CDs.
Awesome, thanks a lot! This should be a very helpful tool once it is fully functional :D
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Re: CD Catalog

Post by Hallfiry »

The file catalog is now available. Check it out on http://KultCDs.com/Catalog/

I should propably change the front page. Getting a list of all disks was nice when it were only 126, but with 1600 it's kinda weird.
Magazine cover disk catalog:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/