Star Castle try

Discuss coding, porting and creating games
pseudocoder
5-bit member

Star Castle try

Post by pseudocoder »

It's been a while since I've posted any code, but I thought that I'd try one of my childhood favorites - Star Castle. This doesn't do much beyond poorly and SLOWLY rotating an image, but it's a start.

Anyway, 'q' to quit; 'a' and 'd' to rotate.

As always, any input is welcome.

Zip contents:

test.exe
s_ship.bmp
==========
ship.c
bmp_lib.h
bmp_lib.lib

source for anyone wishing to compile the test app
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Re: Star Castle try

Post by developertn »

You did a great job. Congratulations.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe

@pseudocoder:

You always have this talent for making the coolest kid's graphics game.

I still remember the cow hehe
pseudocoder
5-bit member

Post by pseudocoder »

LOL - that cow was a sight... I am a terrible artist, but all I can do is try. :) I could probably get away with using just the four color modes since that's about all the colors I use in my "graphics."

This *game* is giving me a headache - I've forgotten so much about trig relationships that it's just sad. The computed x,y coords from the given angle aren't quite right, but at least I've finally gotten my ship to move and rotate in the general path that I want it to go... baby steps. :D
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

pseudocoder wrote:LOL - that cow was a sight... I am a terrible artist, but all I can do is try. :) I could probably get away with using just the four color modes since that's about all the colors I use in my "graphics."

This *game* is giving me a headache - I've forgotten so much about trig relationships that it's just sad. The computed x,y coords from the given angle aren't quite right, but at least I've finally gotten my ship to move and rotate in the general path that I want it to go... baby steps. :D
haha - don't worry - my old friend used to tell me that too. "Baby steps!" I never understood until just recently what that meant. I first heard that phrase around the year 1999.

Don't worry about your artistic abilities. That really stand out especially the colors you use. I'm guessing they are EGA 16 color max at this point in time? Either way no biggie. If I had the money like everyone else I would buy your stuffs. You put a lot of time in it looks like and it shows it seems.

The calculations are amazing. I had to look up those formulas online and managed to find it and memorize it before it got lost.
bartread
Less than a nibble

Post by bartread »

I ran into this thread because I was scouring the net for anything Star Castle related - Star Castle doesn't get nearly enough love in my view - and decided to download your zip and give it a go.

Of course, like an idiot I just tried to run it on Windows 10, which didn't work (the name of the site sort of gives it away!)... then I realised I'd obviously need DOSBox. Ironically this runs your test.exe flawlessly under both OSX and Windows. I have to say, it looks really nice with the way you've used the palette - I guess it's the EGA, as developertn said? I think the 80s-esque colour scheme suits it really nicely.